What coil springs? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 10, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

What coil springs?

I am not having much luck finding a spring for a BB SS with RS, AC, PS, PB, basically a very heavy front end. There seems to be many options for small blocks but not big blocks. So far I have found 2 springs: All Big Block, and Big Block lowered 2 inches.

I am looking to level it up and provide a little more stiffness over the stock tired springs. I am thinking 500 lb spring rate and stock height or 1" lower. The current hub to lip is 12 3/4". I prefer not to cut coils and to only do the job once. Also vendor information would be appreciated.

Last edited by 68 Ragtop; Sep 27th, 10 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 10, 03:01 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: What coil springs?

James I moved your post and started a fresh thread. The one you posted in is all about what others are using that works and not for asking for help...

By the way the Hotchkis small block 2" lowering springs are rated at 600 or 650lbs...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 10, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Thanks Dennis, I was going to start my own thread but figured I would be referred to the sticky.

I also measured the rear height, and it is 15 3/4", so i figure about 14" would look right in front.
Checking the archives, I see that there are two often recommended springs, Moog 5536 and 6320.
The Moog chart shows the 5536 as having one end square and the other tangential,

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...prod=MOOG-5536

while the 6320 is tangential on both ends. Which is correct for Camaro?

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...prod=MOOG-6320

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Any spring gurus out there? Where is David Pozzi?

I have been reading a lot of the archives, but can't find a solid answer. Looks like there are too many variables and I will have to experiment.

Let me simplify my question. What has a greater effect on ride height, free length or spring rate?

I am looking at 2 springs, one is the standard BB spring rated at 328 with a free height of 16.44". The other has a higher rate of 404 and a shorter free height of 16.19. Which will sit taller?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Have you thought about the Hotchkiss 1906F BB spring with the 2 in drop?

I have their 2 in drop small block spring on my '67 and it looks/handles great.

Is the backend of your car high due to air shocks or just springs? The front of your car looks OK as it is (to me). The backend looks a little too jacked up (to me).

Did you want to lower (even out) the car's rake?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 12:36 PM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

We can do a set of QA1 adjustable coilovers so you can get it EXACTLY where you want it! Plus have 12 positions of shock stiffness adjustment.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Before I switched to the QA1s I ran the Hotchkiss. I like the height adjutability of the QA1s otherwise the Hotchkiss mentioned above are also excellent.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 01:05 PM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

We do sell a TON of Hotchkis as well but coils are always a guessing game and for those who have already played than one the QA1 seems like such a good choice!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: What coil springs?

Car looks great in picture. Maybe a 1" lowering block in the rear is all I would do. That should still give you a nice rake.

Why would you want to lower the front ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Car looks great in picture. Maybe a 1" lowering block in the rear is all I would do. That should still give you a nice rake.

Why would you want to lower the front ?
Thanks, It has a 3" rake now. I am looking to raise, not lower, the front end about 1.5" and increase the spring rate. I actually like the rear height as is, the stock tire size is centered in the wheel well, and a 1.5 rake would be good.

The problem now is it bottoms to easy and the tires rub the top inside of the fender wells. I hate it when the frame goes BAMM on dips in the road and the tires go vvvvvvTTT rubbing the fender well on high speed freeway ramps.

The QA1's look like a nice product, but I want to keep it closer to stock. Plus springs are less expensive.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 10, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech

You asked which would sit higher.

The spring rates listed are pounds per inch. So 404 pounds will make the spring 1" shorter.

For easy math the spring rates are 75 pounds different. And .25" in length.

The front might weigh 2000 (for easy math) 1000 per wheel.
The way the front suspension is set up the control arm is a lever that will double (for easy math) the weight the spring sees. So back up to 2000 pounds.

The 404 pound spring will compress roughly 5" to 11.21"
The 328 pound spring will compress roughly 6" to 10.3"

So the spring rate make more of a difference when the overall lengths are so close.

Now these numbers aren't close to reality but they show the general idea and what not.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

You could just add coil spring spacers under your front coils to raise the front, if you want more clearance with the same "ride".

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

400Bird - Thanks that was very helpful.

TJS68 - Good idea but I am not happy with the current mushy handling. the soft ride is nice, but I will sacrifice a little for firmer handling. And it's the same work to install a spacer as it is to change springs.

So I am leaning towards the heavier rate spring, and willing to cut to get to desired ride height. It's easier to start out high and go lower than the other way around. As long as I don't end up with too stiff a spring, which I don't think will happen when starting with a 400 rate. Any thoughts?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Here is Moog's spring chart - http://www.pozziracing.com/Media/spring_chart.jpg

David Pozzi - has lots of info. here - http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_sp...fo.htm#SPRINGS

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 11, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

I finally got around to installing new spring.
I went with the most expensive option, Hotchkis 2" lowering BB springs because I did not want to a lot of experimenting.

After install and test run, I can not believe i am at the exact same ride height, 12 3/4" as before. I still have the same tire rubbing on inner fender well with 215/70/14 tires on factory rally's.

I need to fix this rubbing issue. I am looking at experimenting with more springs to give me a 14" ride height, smaller tires, different backspacing, or adding camber.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by 68 Ragtop; Feb 7th, 11 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode