67 Brake Pedal Pressure, What to expect? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

67 Brake Pedal Pressure, What to expect?

I'm new to first generation Camaro ownership and have a basic break question. On my 67 Camaro (power assisted front disc/read drum) the brake pedal goes 3/4 to floor for full breaking. Previous owner stated this was normal. Is it? If it's not normal could someone suggest the first steps in diagnosing the problem? Should I bleed the breaks? Replace front pads/rear pads?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
red

Re: 67 Brake Pedal Pressure, What to expect?

First look at current level of brake fliuld in M/C. Next jack up car in front and, while engine running , Have some one push on brake pedal slowly till you can not turn front wheel. Check both for same. See where pedal location is for this. Then jack up back end and see where you have to push to stop back wheels. My thinking is do testing before you touch anything. Then give us the results,comments. Any info on M/C. Also pull off power brake fitting to see if pressure is still in booster, after car is shutsoff. Plastic elbow with 1 way valve in it. What you describe is not normal for pedal travel!!

Last edited by red67L78; Sep 30th, 10 at 08:05 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

red67L78,

Totally agree on the testing process (if it ain't broke, don't break it). Thanks for the info. I'll run some test this weekend and post the results.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

1/ thing is to back off the E brake..jack up the rear wheels and adjust each side correctly
If shoes are more than 3/4 worn replace...check drum thickness ..if need turning and too thin replace.
2/..check front disk pads and disks...again if more than 3/4 worn replace pads and check disk thickness and surface...if grooved get then turned, if too thin replace
3/... bleed and replace all the fuild.
4/ if the pedel is firm, push down hard, hold for 10 /15 seconds, lift off but dont lift off enough to full release the wheels then press down again...If the pedal is in the same place...no fade, if slightly lower...something is wrong

This along with a full grease (bearings, nipples) oil and filter change, replace fuel filters etc..should be a matter of routine when buying any new car.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 04:51 PM
Tech Team
ian

My advice would be to clamp all flexi hoses 2 x front ones 1 x rear one. If m/cyl is good pedal should be rock solid if m/cyl is no good pedal will be low. Now if solid with the help of a mate have someone hold pressure on brake pedal (firm) & release the rear clamp now if pedal drops (lets say by half!!) the rears may have a problem ie out of adjustment low liners or oversized drums.now if it stays firm move to the r/f clamp & release again holding firm pedal pressure now the fronts may drop a little being disc (pad travel/pin wear) but if they drop alot may be low pads worn calipers or even rotors.repeat this process for the l/f clamp.this is the best way i have located a problem a the cheapest hope some of this helps cheers kabrka
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 10, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I wouldnt even bother clamping off....its a new car, 40 yrs old, take the wheels of and physically ispect stuff....
The other alternative is assume everything is kosher and put your, your passengers, and other life on the line on that ***-U& ME tion.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Pulled front wheels, rotors and pads look good. Pulled rear wheels, drums look acceptable. Fluid level in master is fine.

How exactly do you "clamp" off the flexi hoses? What device and where would I clamp off the hoses?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech

Those hoses are old like steptoe said, they really shouldn't be clamped off.

How do the wheel cylinders look, that a very common leak.

If thats ok, blead them. There may be air in the system. Previous owner may have assumed that was normal because he didn't know any better.

Oh, wait. Just realized something.
Adjust the rear drums, that will help take up the slack in the pedal.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Adjust the rear drums, that will help take up the slack in the pedal.
And it will take up the slack in the E brakes.
Do not take up the slack using the E Brake
Adjust at the wheel and back the E brake off before adjusting

Note here....assuming the internals are not cogged up with crap, the rear drums are self adjusting....when you reverse then hit the brakes they take up any slack.
Big warning in the orginal owners hand book about this..do not reverse the use the forward gears to change direction.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
red

Mike
Have you tried the stopping test?
Single piston calipers?
Can you pump the pedal will stopping and pedal travel distance is reduced?
Do not pinch off any lines.
Is you M/C a 1 1/8 size?
Does your power brakes booster hold vacumme?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 10, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

After closer inspection of the rear cylinders it does look like the right rear has a small leak (400bird's suggestion). Fluid level in master is still ok but the leak needs to be corrected (obviously). I'm going to find a local shop to do the replacement. I'm not comfortable messing with the brakes. Thanks for all the input and test suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode