how to bleed new brake system 67 drums - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 10, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joel

how to bleed new brake system 67 drums

Taking a break to post this so I hope when I am done with the install after lunch I can get the answer. I am putting a new brake system on my 67 today.
I am installing new brakes on all 4 with new wheel cylinders, new master cylinder and new lines so a whole new system. This is all drum with manual brakes.
Rear brakes are done, I am going back out to install new lines, then to front and then the master cylinder.

I know I need to bench bleed the master, but the lines are all empty as the new wheel cylinders. What is the way to do this to get fluid and air out of system bleeding the wheel cyl's. Do i do the rears first?

Thanks,
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 10, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech
Terry

Re: how to bleed new brake system 67 drums

Joel, Are you bleeding the brakes yourself with no assistance? If so, and you have no brake bleeder system, I suggest purchasing SPEED BLEEDER (one person brake bleeders with built -in check valve) Part # DORMAN 12704. NAPA, Autozone, Kragens, etc has them usually. Two self bleeder screws come per package. So you will need two packages. Follow the simple directions and leave them in. Also, start with the furthest wheel from the master cyl first...rear passenger. Worked for me. Make sure you slowly pump the pedal. I pushed a clear hose onto the bleeder screw and stuck the other end in a bottle to catch the expelled brake fluid. Plus you can see when the air is released by a steady flow of brake fluid. No need to close screw between pumps- check ball will not allow air in. $10 per package. Took me 4-5 slow pumps of the pedal per slave cylinder. Do not let the master cyl reservoir fluid level get too low or you will suck air and have to bench bleed the master cyl again. I will never use my pressure bleeder again.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 10, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I wish I had known about those bleeders, I would have tried them on mine instead of buying a power bleeder. I used a power bleeder and it worked very well with some modifications to the clamping part so it didn't leak. Put 1 quart through the system to flush it and quickly had a very solid pedal. It was from Motive Products, got it from Summit for about $50 I believe. If you get one of these make sure you pump up the system with air first to make sure there aren't any alr leaks where it sits on top of the master cylinder, once you have a good seal add brake fluid and it works great!

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 10, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode View Post
I wish I had known about those bleeders, I would have tried them on mine instead of buying a power bleeder. I used a power bleeder and it worked very well with some modifications to the clamping part so it didn't leak. Put 1 quart through the system to flush it and quickly had a very solid pedal. It was from Motive Products, got it from Summit for about $50 I believe. If you get one of these make sure you pump up the system with air first to make sure there aren't any alr leaks where it sits on top of the master cylinder, once you have a good seal add brake fluid and it works great!
I purchased the same one years ago. It wouldn't seal up my '68 Mstg Fstbk or my 66 Chevelle SS. The "J" hooks, cheapo chains and the composite lid suck! Been sold on SPEED BLEEDERS ever since. Fast and easy and in place for future use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode