67 Vert leaf springs, What should I do? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 11, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Exclamation 67 Vert leaf springs, What should I do?

Well, I have the car running and everything is in it. The problem that I see is that the rear leaf spings are arched to much. These are Eaton mono leafs and are new. I bought these new four years ago and the car has just recently had the engine and the trans put it. The car in the front sits fine, it is the rear that looks wrong. Even though the springs are new they are four years old, so returning them is out of the question. I have read that since the monos are known to be a problem with sagging that Eaton arches them a little more, a beefier spring perhaps.

The wheel well clearance from the tire is about one inch in front of the tire and three inches from the back of the tire. The way I see it I have three options.

1: order new springs, thinking that they might have sent me the wrong ones, and hope that they are different.

2: have them rearched to drop about two inches.

3: put about three hundred pounds of sand in the trunk till they settle.

Any ideas on this? The picture below shows the car without the engine, trans, interior and fuel. But the rear still sits high. In fact the rear shocks are just about topped out. There is pleanty of room for the rear shackles to move back. Compared to my 69, the rear shackles are forward to where I think they should be.

Fire away!!!

Might be some better pictures in the signature line below...

Brandan-

1969 Chevrolet Camaro 396 SS X-66

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 11, 08:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: 67 Vert leaf springs, What should I do?

#2 will be the lowest cost option.
#3 will take a very long time...years.

I'd go with #2.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 11, 09:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Talking Re: 67 Vert leaf springs, What should I do?

Go with #2. It is cheaper than #1 and easier on your back than #3.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 11, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Or, you could loosen the rear shackles (with tires on the ground of course) and allow the springs to sag to their proper height (now would be a good time for that 300 lbs of sand in the trunk) and then retighten.

Same/similar tightening concept as the front LCAs.

Last edited by mahunt; Sep 30th, 11 at 09:43 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 11, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Or, you could loosen the rear shackles (with tires on the ground of course) and allow the springs to sag to their proper height (now would be a good time for that 300 lbs of sand in the trunk) and then retighten.
Wouldn't the spring retract to the original position? I guess the shackle would have to "over power" the tension on the spring......??? Is that possible?

Brandan-

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 11, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandan View Post
Wouldn't the spring retract to the original position? I guess the shackle would have to "over power" the tension on the spring......??? Is that possible?

Brandan-
Yes, if the car has been driven I doubt this will make any difference. The bushings are not going to hold it up for long on the road.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 11, 04:12 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Yes....if everything was tightened up while in the air it could be binding....loosen the front and rear eyebolts up...bounce it some and see if it settles any.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 11, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
The bushings are not going to hold it up for long on the road.
Are you saying that it is going to settle some?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 11, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Yes....if everything was tightened up while in the air it could be binding....loosen the front and rear eyebolts up...bounce it some and see if it settles any.
Will try that for sure before I decide what to do..... won't cost anything to see.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 09:37 AM
Hotchkis

Brandan The rear wheels appear to be pushed forward in the wheelwell. Unless its an optical illusion. If the centering pins in the springs for locating the rearend are too far forward, having them re-arched wont change that issue. Weve seen this with springs in the past. Option 1 or 2 look good to us. If the centering pins are in the wrong location, option 1 is best.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension
Toll Free: 888-735-6425

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 10:19 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I'm inclined to agree the rear wheels don't look positioned correctly in the wheelwell.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 12:32 PM
Guess

The fronts are too far forward as well. Looked at your pics in the album.

I've never seen one sit so high in the back like that! I don't think loosening the bushings and putting weight in the trunk will make it settle THAT far. Same for the front.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 01:26 PM
Kevin

it looks like the front bolt was torqued to the mount before the mount was bolted to the car. loosen everything and see where she sits. front is too high too, check to see what springs are in there and if they are seated properly. I installed new eaton vert monos in my 69 and they were too low! Had to take a set of originals and had them re-arched higher (for around $50). You need to put some weight in it before tightening the bushing bolts (does not look like you have the interior, top, spare/jack or shakers (a guess ) installed)

Kevin

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

I think it looks good as it sits.

Time to do sum off roadin'!

Yee Haw!!!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 11, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Thanks, That picture was from about three or four years ago. The front is sitting high because the engine is out and there is no weight in the car in that photo. It was actually the only photo that I have that shows the problem. Now that the car is almost done the front looks fine, the rear not so much. I didn't put the springs in. The body shop guy did and I remember him commenting on how that were a PITA. I did order the springs from NPD and they are suppposedly Eaton springs. I guess there could be a chance that I was sent the wrong springs.

The whole rear looks like it needs to come back about one inch. I was hoping that once all the weight was in the car it would settle. The rear shackles are angled forward so there is some play for them to slide back. The front eyes might be torqued. I am going to get the car back today from the transmission shop and start messing around with this to figure out where I need to go to get it right. I think I am going to start with loosinging everything up and go from there. I just might have to get new springs...

Brandan-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode