Brake Booster Rebuild Kit - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 11, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Brake Booster Rebuild Kit

My original 42 year old '69 Delco Moraine brake booster has failed and is in need of a rebuild. I'm aware Brakeboosters.com and White Post Restorations do terrific work rebuilding and restoring these boosters (and other brake components) however I would prefer to DIY solution with a repair/rebuild kit as my first choice. I don't plan to replate or restore the booster, just repair it in keeping with the original theme of my engine compartment. I've been unable to locate a repair kit and would appreciate some direction on where to buy one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 11, 03:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Brake Booster Rebuild Kit

Tough to find folks that will sell the kits - as you may have aready found ...

I've dealt with some companies for years and find you usually have to have a relationship with them before they'll come through with a 'kit'.
You could try Reman Inc. (1-800-462-0062) - call them, ask for a sales rep and open a discussion with them about kits and the availablity. Try to work with them and I will bet they come through with what you need - BUT - do you know what you need :confused
I find these guys are very knowlegable, but they 'don't suffer fools' and won't try to fiqure out what to sell you vs. you asking for the right parts
I beleive that's why these guys all went to just doing the rebuilds in-house, I bet the returns were killing them ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 11, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Tough to find folks that will sell the kits - as you may have aready found ...

I've dealt with some companies for years and find you usually have to have a relationship with them before they'll come through with a 'kit'.
You could try Reman Inc. (1-800-462-0062) - call them, ask for a sales rep and open a discussion with them about kits and the availablity. Try to work with them and I will bet they come through with what you need - BUT - do you know what you need :confused
I find these guys are very knowlegable, but they 'don't suffer fools' and won't try to fiqure out what to sell you vs. you asking for the right parts
I beleive that's why these guys all went to just doing the rebuilds in-house, I bet the returns were killing them ...
Thanks for the suggestion John, I've just sent Reman a detailed email and will wait and see what they come back with, hopefully they have what I need. From time to time I've seen NOS Delco booster rebuild kits on eBay however I've not needed one until now!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Brake Booster Rebuild Kit

I very seldom need them myself, but they are handy if the vehicle has the original booster in good condition but I feel a 'freshing' is in order ...
The last few 'kits' I've purchased ran over $100 ea. - you can get yours rebuilt for aorund the same amount
Add $50~75 for redoing the 'Cad' coating and you almost money ahead to get a rebuilt
I've even resorted to buying a booster from one of the suppliers and disassembling for the 'new' parts.

One last "hint" - don't just stick with the high volume GM line 'repopper' suppliers
Look at the olds/buick/pont sites as they will often have a good supply of smaller rebuild parts and even some interchangable NOS stuff
But .. don't tell anyone else

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
I very seldom need them myself, but they are handy if the vehicle has the original booster in good condition but I feel a 'freshing' is in order ...
The last few 'kits' I've purchased ran over $100 ea. - you can get yours rebuilt for aorund the same amount
Add $50~75 for redoing the 'Cad' coating and you almost money ahead to get a rebuilt
I've even resorted to buying a booster from one of the suppliers and disassembling for the 'new' parts.

One last "hint" - don't just stick with the high volume GM line 'repopper' suppliers
Look at the olds/buick/pont sites as they will often have a good supply of smaller rebuild parts and even some interchangable NOS stuff
But .. don't tell anyone else
Good counsel, thanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Good luck separating the two halves of the booster. It isn't fun at all.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 01:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs down Re: Brake Booster Rebuild Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
Good luck separating the two halves of the booster. It isn't fun at all.
Were talking about 'Single' action Bendix or Moraine boosters here
They a day at the beach to take apart

Bet you're thinking about "Double" action HD boosters - best to know how to retain/handle the internal spring pressure BEFORE trying to twist one of them apart

Do a search on here for 'Boosters' and I'm sure you'll find more than one thread explaining how to do it with little effort

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode