Hotchkis TVS Q's - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 11, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
mike

Hotchkis TVS Q's

Has anyone used the tvs system and any thoughts.. Starting to do my homework on what to buy... All comments are apperciated.. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 11, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: hotchkis tvs Q's

Hello Mike,
I've ordered the 1 1/8" front sway bar, the 2" drop coils and the 1.5" drop rear multi-leafs, not the complete TVS package but most of it. I did quite a bit of research and decided that it was the best system for my own requirements, not saying they are for everyone but did read some very good reviews of the Hotchkis products. I have yet to install any of the parts (still doing bodywork ) but the manufacturer's website has good installation instructions that you can download as PDF files.
I'd say continue with your research, talk to as many owners as possible who have different types of aftermarket suspension, but you won't be disappointed if you go with the TVS.
Cheers, Tim

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 11, 05:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Aaron

I can't say as to the performance yet as I only just got the car running and have yet to take it out for some serious driving. But installation is no problems, but you may have to do your homework on the exhaust and the rear sway bar. My Magnaflow 15896 for '67 was a little tight around the sway bar but cleared it okay without any major adjustments like rebending.

The other issue with mine is I went with the 1 1/2" Rear/ 2" Front drop and it's okay, just not quite as low as I thought it would be. Just remember the drop is from stock height, not what your tired old springs are sitting at now. It's supposed to settle a bit after driving it awhile so I'll see once I get a few miles on it.

Aaron

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 11, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgDavao View Post
I can't say as to the performance yet as I only just got the car running and have yet to take it out for some serious driving. But installation is no problems, but you may have to do your homework on the exhaust and the rear sway bar. My Magnaflow 15896 for '67 was a little tight around the sway bar but cleared it okay without any major adjustments like rebending.

The other issue with mine is I went with the 1 1/2" Rear/ 2" Front drop and it's okay, just not quite as low as I thought it would be. Just remember the drop is from stock height, not what your tired old springs are sitting at now. It's supposed to settle a bit after driving it awhile so I'll see once I get a few miles on it.

Aaron
Same here with my 69.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: Hotchkis TVS Q's

I only wish the TVS kit was around 12 years ago when I started on my suspension, would have made things much simpler. I have their sway bar, springs, leafs, Bilstein shocks, sub frame connectors, and chassis brace that I pieced together one by one. If doing it today I'd buy the TVS kit as a package and call it done.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
mike

Thanks for the reply's.. When the car does'nt sit as low as thought is that front and rear or just rear???? It's a 69 that I'm getting ready to strip down and start...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 11, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
Danny

Mike,

Note that the Hotchkis coil springs have a larger OD than the original equipment. That may not be an issue with OE lower contral arms but can be a problem with some tubular arms. I bought a TVS system and had that situation come up and had to use another manufacturer's spring that would fit the tubular arms. I returned the springs but did not get a credit.

Danny

Danny Glasgow
Friendsville, TN

Mrs. G's quote: "Better a younger car than a younger woman."
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
frank

i was going to say the rear sway bar does not fit,.....but thats for a 67, no one chimed about that being an issue for 69. might be a good time to do frame connectors if thats on your project
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
mike

I've heard that the rear sway link bracket mount to the trunk/floor pan and in time it damages the pan. Hellwig bars were recommended.. I think i'm gonna go with the SC&C stage 2 plus kit with hotchkis ft and rear drop springs and either bilstein or koni shocks.. I think this will acheive a great ride height and good driving performance.. I'll keep posting as things come together... Thanks for all the replys this is a great source of info...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Dee

I used the TVS on my 69 along with their tubular arms and Comp Eng sub-frame connectors and slide-a-links. I found out the hard way the Hotchkis front springs would not fit my BMR tubular arms (anyone want a good set of BMR tubular arms?).

I'm very happy with the outcome although I have not track tested it yet. It feels firm and great on the street. I may have a photo somewhere that shows the stance with 215/65/15 fronts and 235/60/15 rears. Looks great IMHO.

It is currently in the operating room getting a 200 4R.

1967 RS/SS350 Camaro (mostly stock)
1969 RS/SS Camaro (being improved!)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

SPC Stage 2 Plus w/ the high durometer rubber
SPC lowers, SPC says 1" drop built in, Mark at SC&C says 2", I think it's closer to 1"
Eibach Sport coils, 1" lower
Global West L16 leafs, 1.5" lower
Bilstein shocks from AJ USA ($320 shipped when you catch a sale)
Hellwig front and rear sway bars
Global West subframe connectors
Luv it.

Driver side front dropped an inch lower than passenger. Installed two SPC 1/4" spacers on that side only.

The TVS wasn't around when I bought some of this stuff or else I probably would've gone with it especially with the resources you have with this message board. One stop shopping is nice.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 04:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
terry

Damn Steiner, that's one nice car.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Yessir! Nice ride for sure.

'69 Camaro 350 / T56 Magnum / 10-Bolt
Built rear & 4-link coming soon...

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
Hotchkis

Thanks for all the kind words about Hotchkis products. We have been building performance suspension systems for the F-body for nearly 20 years, and pride ourselves on making all of our parts to work as a complete system, and every part is designed, engineered, track tested, street proven and manufactured in the USA. Sounds like a weird thing to point out, but in this day and age its critical that no matter who you buy your system from – us or a competitor – you at least make sure they parts were made here from domestic material. Some of the overseas parts we’re seeing lately are downright scary!

We are constantly trying to improve our line – that’s why a few years ago we introduced a revised rear bar with extra bracing to ensure it can take the torsional loads of modern big-inch wheels and sticky tires. We also recently introduced a new 3” drop spring due to customer demand.

How low you go with springs depends on what you’re looking for. Everyone is a little different. Here’s a ’69 with Hotchkis 3” drop front and rear.

Carl Casanova’s ’68 Camaro has been taking no prisoners with the Hotchkis TVS kit!

Carl’s car not only won the Super Chevy suspension shootout last year, it also made a muscle car convert out of the Wall Street Journal’s Dan Neil last week on SPEED’s The Car Show. Dan has driven everything from Bugattis and Lambos to Ferraris and 911 GT3RS – and he said Carl’s car is the first vehicle he’s ever driven for “work” that he wanted to own himself! Click here for the video.

Anyway, we’re hear to help and are happy to offer any tech support we can on your project, so good luck.

Last edited by Hotchkis; Oct 11th, 11 at 10:32 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Thanks for all the kind words about Hotchkis products. We have been building performance suspension systems for the F-body for nearly 20 years, and pride ourselves on making all of our parts to work as a complete system, and every part is designed, engineered, track tested, street proven and manufactured in the USA. Sounds like a weird thing to point out, but in this day and age its critical that no matter who you buy your system from – us or a competitor – you at least make sure they parts were made here from domestic material. Some of the overseas parts we’re seeing lately are downright scary!

We are constantly trying to improve our line – that’s why a few years ago we introduced a revised rear bar with extra bracing to ensure it can take the torsional loads of modern big-inch wheels and sticky tires. We also recently introduced a new 3” drop spring due to customer demand.

How low you go with springs depends on what you’re looking for. Everyone is a little different. Here’s a ’69 with Hotchkis 3” drop front and rear.

Carl Casanova’s ’68 Camaro has been taking no prisoners with the Hotchkis TVS kit!

Carl’s car not only won the Super Chevy suspension shootout last year, it also made a muscle car convert out of the Wall Street Journal’s Dan Neil last week on SPEED’s The Car Show. Dan has driven everything from Bugattis and Lambos to Ferraris and 911 GT3RS – and he said Carl’s car is the first vehicle he’s ever driven for “work” that he wanted to own himself! Click here for the video.

Anyway, we’re hear to help and are happy to offer any tech support we can on your project, so good luck.

I did'nt see the pic of the 69 with 3" drop and does the extra bracing for the rear bar come in the tvs kit or is it extra and can you post a pic of it.... thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode