Cal Tracs at the track - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 11, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Cal Tracs at the track

I went to the track for the first time today. The car had Cal tracs on it when i bought it. I have never messed with the rear suspension. First run blew the tires off in first and second. Second and third run just had some real bad wheel hop in first and second. Could they just be adjusted wrong or could it be the old worn out mono leaf,air shocks or bad bushing's. I am runnig 255 / 60 / 15 BFG Ta radials. Any help with someone who has experience with this would be much appreciated Thanks Mike

67 R/S Blue 406 518HP and 504TQ Dart block,Callies crank,Mahle pistons,Ultradyne cam 230/238 duration @.050 530 lift at 113 lsa, Afr 195 heads,Holley 4150HP carb and RPM Air gap. TKO600 with 373 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 11, 08:00 PM
Justin

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 11, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: Cal Tracs at the track

I know from personal experence that mono leafs and air shocks are fertile grounds for wheel hops. I now have the J.C. Whitney 3 leaf conversion that fits in the mono leaf brace. I also have your basic slapper or tracion bar. I think really they are called no hop bars because they keep the spring from binding up and start the whole hopping process. I have no experence with cal tracks but a lot of guys here use them and go really fast with them. I bet it is an adjustment issue. mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 11, 09:15 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

If the motor and horsepower in your sig is correct, there is no traction aid that will help you hook a radial TA street tire. The air shocks probably don't help either.
With that said, how are they adjusted currently? I have had my best luck with 1/4 to 1/2 turn of preload on the bars.
Read up on adjusting the bars, even give Calvert racing a call, then buy a set of M/T or similar drag radials and have another go at it. Caltracs are the best leaf spring traction device on the market. Good luck!

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 11, 05:27 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Drag radials and a stick shift they might work but you'd be better off with some MT ET Streets
Now, you need to lose the air shocks
Get the Caltracs set right
Then give it another go.

500HP + a manual tranny + BFG T/A's = a lot of smoke

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 11, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I am going to tear things apart this winter. I have the air shocks to keep the 255 BF goodrich tire away from the fender on the passenger side and keep the stance i like to look at. I am going to have the rear end gone through and get new springs this winter. Just haven't decided what yet springs to use. I drive the car alot and only go to the strip once or twice a year. I like the stock ride hieght look. Thanks for all the input

67 R/S Blue 406 518HP and 504TQ Dart block,Callies crank,Mahle pistons,Ultradyne cam 230/238 duration @.050 530 lift at 113 lsa, Afr 195 heads,Holley 4150HP carb and RPM Air gap. TKO600 with 373 gears
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 11, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike's blue67 View Post
I am going to tear things apart this winter. I have the air shocks to keep the 255 BF goodrich tire away from the fender on the passenger side and keep the stance i like to look at. I am going to have the rear end gone through and get new springs this winter. Just haven't decided what yet springs to use. I drive the car alot and only go to the strip once or twice a year. I like the stock ride hieght look. Thanks for all the input
Would i have been beter letting the air out of the shocks. They are only a year or so old. It had bad wheel hop on a couple of the runs

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 11, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike's blue67 View Post
Would i have been beter letting the air out of the shocks. They are only a year or so old. It had bad wheel hop on a couple of the runs
Air shocks will not have the dampening effect you are looking for to make the tires work with the caltracs. That lack of dampening and the resulting bounce from the too stiff air shock will lead to the wheel hop you experienced. The adjustable Rancho shock recommended by Calvert is a great place to start for not a huge amount of $$. If you don't want to make any changes for a couple of quick hits at the track once in a while you will need to have a 'soft' foot on the clutch pedal off the line to induce a little clutch slip. It is inconsistent and very hard on the clutch so it wouldn't be preferred.

We run a soft lock clutch and double adjustable shocks in a drag only application and the caltracs work great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode