Removing Coil Springs from subframe - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 11, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Removing Coil Springs from subframe

I've been given a subframe for parts, and need to remove the coil springs to get the LCA and UCA out. I've done this before - but when everything was still on the car, and I used a floor jack to raise the LCA upwards slightly, then loosened the castle nut from the steering knuckle and lowered away on the jack, undoing the nut further as I went, until the coil was fully unloaded. Also had a safety chain through the coil spring.
When you don't have the weight of the car to jack upwards against (i.e. the subframe is removed from the car), is there a safe way of removing the springs? Is a pair of spring compressors the way to go?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 11, 11:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Removing Coil Springs from subframe

Take a look here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...1&postcount=21

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 11, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Thanks Mike - so basically you use the threaded rod and nuts/washers each end to slightly compress the coil spring, then once the tension is on that (rather than on the steering knuckle), you can undo the castle nuts on the ball joint and gradually loosen off the nuts on the threaded rod until the spring is unloaded? Neat, I like it! Thanks again

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.

Last edited by ZLP955; Oct 30th, 11 at 12:35 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 11, 04:29 AM
Guess

Wrap some rope or chain around the spring and frame just for good safety measure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 11, 06:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
Thanks Mike - so basically you use the threaded rod and nuts/washers each end to slightly compress the coil spring, then once the tension is on that (rather than on the steering knuckle), you can undo the castle nuts on the ball joint and gradually loosen off the nuts on the threaded rod until the spring is unloaded? Neat, I like it! Thanks again
I run the all thread in until I've slightly compressed the spring, let off a bit, loosen the castle nuts about 1/4" to 1/2" (but still fully on the ball joint threads) and then beat the living #$^@# out of the ball joint to spindle connection with a pickle fork. I like to have the ball joint to spindle connection under spring tension so you can hear it pop when it loosens. Once both ball joint studs are loose from the spindle, you can unthread the all-thread and remove the spring.

Make sure you have enough extra length on the all-thread to allow you to fully decompress the spring. Remember that the spring fully decompressed will be an easy 6" longer. I'd recommend at least 18" of extra length. I use the all-thread in the original 4' to 5' length. Installation is just the reverse.

I'm as safe as the next guy, but I see no need for a separate chain or other spring retention device with the spring held in place with a piece of 5/8" all-thread.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 11, 07:00 AM
Guess

Unless the all-thread decides to let loose.
I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 11, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech
jim

I've found the best way to separate the ball joints from the spindle is not with the fork method, but with a (large) brass hammer smacking the side of the spindle where the tapered fit is. With spring tension on the spindle, nuts loose about a 1/4" but in place and the threaded rod attached of course, ready to catch the separating control arm should the nut come off, smack the side of the spindle and the taper will pop not harming the rubber boot as the fork usually does..

67 RS Deluxe Int. A/C car
TKO-600
400 4 bolt block .03 over
Ported 215 Pro1 Platinums
Forged/balanced 400 crank, pistons, 6" rods
286HR cam w/1.6 rckrs LS1 beehives
Forgelines, 18"f 19"r, 4 link w/ minitub
IROC s/gear, 4 wheel discs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 11, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode