Three questions...all related to the REAR END - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 11, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Three questions...all related to the REAR END

So I figured instead of listing three separate questions I would lump them all into one since they all have to do with the rear of the car.

I have a 68 camaro with a 9 inch rear Question 1.. The angle of the tranny is -5 degrees, the measurement of the driveshaft approx 3/4 of the way down is -3 degrees and lastly the measurement of the pinion yoke on the 9 inch is right as 0... Is this correct? I get horrible wheel hop and am running DSE 3 inch leafs with non staggered bilstein shocks.. Problem becomes if I have to change that pinion angle I dont see how I can since the DSE collars are already WELDED to the tubs of the axle.

Question 2.. I have been debating going with a 4 link but want to retain as much of the 9 inch as I can ( I may buy a new housing to make install easier) The axles I have dont look stock and have a large M raised on them with the number +53 on it. Someone told me that they are Moser axles which I hope is the case..

Question 3.. The car makes a horrible clicking almost sound only when I am going around turns slowely.. The rear is real squirrely and I do want to go with a 4 link but I dont know what to keep or not to keep of the 9 inch.. This car originally was setup for the drags (from what I can tell by the wheels, long half inch studs, tires, cage, fuel cell, etc.. so I am assuming that maybe this guy went with a drag setup? The car makes unbelievable power but I just cant seem to keep the rear end under control.. Downright scary.. I also believe he went with c clip eliminators which Moser states is a NO NO for the street and should only be used for drap racing straight line applications due to the fact that they will crack on turns and leak.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
TOOFUN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 11, 07:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Three questions...all related to the REAR END

1. For a pure drag car, it's fairly common to set the pinion angle based on hp. The more hp, the more down the pinion compared to the trans output since the rear will climb in a leaf spring car under acceleration. Five degrees is fairly extreme but not unheard of. For a mainly street car, setting it up closer to equal but opposite of trans (+4 to +5 degrees in your case) is usual practice in order to control driveline vibrations and component wear. You would correct your angle if desired by either shimming the pinion up with angle shims in the leaf perches, shimming the trans up with shims under the trans mount, or a combination of both. Not clear on what you mean by the "DSE collars being welded to the tubes."

2. Yes, those sound like Moser axles. The 53 may be for the end-to-end length which is about what a first gen Camaro is.

3. I doubt that you have C-clip eliminators as Ford 9" rears use bolt in axles standard, although I guess it's possible someone could've cut the ends off and replaced them with eliminators. C-clip eliminators are a bolt on deal with a gasket that convert a rear to bolt in axles. Your Ford rear should have welded on bearing housings. No worries if that's the case.

Sounds like the rear has a locker in it. As far as the wheel hop, pinion angle shouldn't have any effect on that. I'm not an expert an that for sure but have heard of lockers causing hop by cycling loaded/unloaded or bad backlash setup. Your rear suspension setup does not sound like one you'd want to run with a locker, I would think you'd want softer springs and shocks for track use.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode