1967 Camaro Power Steering Pump removal. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 11, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

1967 Camaro Power Steering Pump removal.

Kinda embarassed to even ask this question....I'm just a wannabe be mechanic. The power steering pump on my 1967 is leaking BAD and I'm not sure how to remove it. The engine is a 327. I'm not even sure how to explain what I've done so far. On the front of the pump there appears to be a shaft about 4 inches long that runs through a pully. There is a bolt on the shaft and when I turn the bold with a wrench the pully turns so I'm not sure if that is attached to the pump. I think I could figure out the rest if I can get past this part. Sure would appreciate some direction.

Also...there seems to be several choices in replacement pumps. Any advice on this would also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 11, 05:48 PM
Del

Re: 1967 Camaro Power Steering Pump removal.

The easiest way is to remove the whole pump with the brackets connectect to it. Loosen the bolt that keeps the pump in place or keeps tension for the belt. Then take the belt off. Look below the pump it should be in a craddle or bracket there is usually some bolts take those out they are bolted to the block. There may also be a bracket on the side that connects to the pump. Once you do this you should be able to pull it up and out so you can disconnect the hoses, and then watch out for the fluid of course. Hope this helps you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 11, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

After almosst 3 days of frustration and inventing new cuss words I have successfully installed a new power steering pump and did the whole thing myself AND IT WORKS like it is supposed to. I learned how to remove and reinstall the pulley, replaced all the lines and even had to modify the mounting bracket as well. I took that mofo and made it my bee-otch!

I know that for most of you this is about as routine as projects come but for me this is a huge triumph. All I know about working on cars is what I've picked up over the years. As I mentioned earlier Im just a "wannabe" mechanic...someone that has wanted to go to mechanics school all his life but never was able to due to LIFE getting in the way and the lack of funds. If I could only hit that dang lottery things would change.

A great sense of accomplishment for me. I might even take the wife out for dinner tonight to celebrate!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 11, 02:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Send a message via AIM to 97 CAIVIAROSS
Thumbs up Re: 1967 Camaro Power Steering Pump removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanddean View Post
After almosst 3 days of frustration and inventing new cuss words I have successfully installed a new power steering pump and did the whole thing myself AND IT WORKS like it is supposed to. I learned how to remove and reinstall the pulley, replaced all the lines and even had to modify the mounting bracket as well. I took that mofo and made it my bee-otch!

I know that for most of you this is about as routine as projects come but for me this is a huge triumph. All I know about working on cars is what I've picked up over the years. As I mentioned earlier Im just a "wannabe" mechanic...someone that has wanted to go to mechanics school all his life but never was able to due to LIFE getting in the way and the lack of funds. If I could only hit that dang lottery things would change.

A great sense of accomplishment for me. I might even take the wife out for
dinner tonight to celebrate!
That is awesome!! Great job sticking with it and not giving up.

97 Camaro SS #1925 6spd (Cammed, now it sounds right!)
67 Camaro SS 350 #s Matching (Being Restored..umm covered in garage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
11 GMC Sierra 2500hd (Driveway Queen)
09 Impala 175,000 and still going (Work Car)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 11, 10:14 PM
David Pozzi

You can do it! Just get the GM factory "Helm" "Chassis Service" manual & read up.
Other manuals are a joke compared to the factory version.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode