Power Steering unit swap - Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 11, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Power Steering unit swap - Help!

Hi!

I read a lot here on the long posts over the 3rd gen power steerings upgrades. I am buying a adaptator kit from Lee and a Cardone 276550 .

On my camaro 1968, I have allready a fast ratio steering box part number 7812145 .

I ask you to tell me if I need special hoses male / or female fittings, and where can I buy power steering hoses and which type I need for the high pressure line.

Then a subsidiary question, what is the 7812145 steering unit?

Thank a lot!

Marc

Camaro 1968, propane 327ci, Big Brake, Hotchkis, T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 11, 11:55 AM
David Pozzi

Re: Power Steering unit swap - Help!

There is no guarantee the Cardinone box is fast ratio or not. Many are, but some members have received slower boxes. I think the number 7812145 is a casting number. All boxes for GM cars used the same casting so no help there. Over the years the casting number changed, so you may be able to identify what decade it was cast but no ratio information. Ratios were identified by a two letter code, on 1960's boxes the code was ink stamped on a little oval sticker on the aluminum cover. Later boxes had larger ink stamps directly on the aluminum - no sticker.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 11, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech

It is too bad that remanufacturers don't list performance information with a rebuilt power steering gear that they are selling you. It should be very easy to list the gear ratio (straight or variable) and the sweep of the pitman shaft. Assuming that they have a machine to check steering effort; then listing the valve effort would go a long way toward allowing you to pick the gear for your application.

The facts that David Pozzi mentions in the previous thread indicates that some remanufacturers are just throwing the parts back together and you are purchasing a black box.

I have mentioned in previous posts that you can check the total sweep of the pitman arm and also determine the gear ratio with a cheap school kid's protractor. But determining the valve effort requires a special machine.

Jim

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 11, 07:31 PM
Tech Team
Joel

I sent mine to Lares Corp out of MN. Ordered a 972 from Rockauto for $200. It is was a R&R, received my original unit back, and it was converted to quick ratio, 10 to 1 they say. My car is not drivable yet, so I have not way of telling.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 11, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech

Itguy,
You better hope that it isn't 10:1 if you are driving your Camaro on the street. If you are only Motorcrossing possibly it could be acceptable.

The only production GM gear fast ratios are 12.7:1 or 14:1. There may be some specialty gear ratios for NASCAR in the 10:1 range. But 10:1 is going to be way to sensitive for enjoyable highway driving.

Jim
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 11, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Jack

I just finished swapping a manual steering box on my 69 camaro for a '96 jeep grand cherokee power steering box. I have a '68 camaro with fast power steering that I am going to swap it for a jeep box also. I like the way it drives and the effort it takes to steer.

68 camaro SS 350 convertible, 69 camaro coupe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 11, 08:27 PM
Tech Team
Joel

Good point, but i called Lares directly, and told them what my application was for, a daily driver. They also list one that specifically states "Race Car". I guess if it is the wrong one once I get my car complete, i will replace it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode