Front anti sway bar - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 11, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

Front anti sway bar

I will try to keep this brief. !967 camaro 496 procharged 800hp range 6 speed standard 3.9 ford 9 inch rear to give a little background. I have slide a links drag radials and 90/10 shocks up front. I get a lot of front end travel and it helps hook so much so it ripped the antisway bar out of the frame. I removed the bar and repaired the frame. This is a street car and on the street going around turns is a new and slightly scary experience I am looking at a few ways to help with the body roll. I was thinking of putting the anti sway bar back in and using travel limiters on the front end and putting blocks under the mounts where the anti sway bars mount, I read on another thread this helps. My other thought was to use a rear anti sway bar but with the 3 inch exhaust it looks like it would be hard to find one that wont interfere. Plus I already have the front anti sway bar so$$$...If anyone could help I would truly appreciate it Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 11, 12:44 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Front anti sway bar

Been there done that (street driving without swaybar) Don't like it

Anywho, yes I would reinstall...maybe wrap the frame with some 1/8"-3/16" flat stock on 3 sides minimum... fully welded of course.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 11, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

Have you heard of putting blocks under the mounts on the frame rails? What about the travel limiters? Thanks

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 11, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Front anti sway bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
Have you heard of putting blocks under the mounts on the frame rails? What about the travel limiters? Thanks
This is done to allow more space between the bar and the harmonic balancer on your engine. I don't know if there is any other advantage.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 11, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

I just thought the blocks would help so when the front comes up all the way it would not pull so hard on the mounts, that or using a-arm travel limiters I was just wondering if others have had any experience with doing either, or like I said skip that all together and just use a rear anti sway bar thanks for the replies it is truly appreciated. I was also told the torque twist would cause the bar in the front to twist causing it to rip out of the frame and especially on the passenger side which by the way ripped out first.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 11, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

Hey If anyone has experience with their gen 1 camaro like I am having don't let this thread die out I could really use some help Thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 11, 10:41 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Most high HP cars I've seen setup for the drag strip don't run a swaybar or if they do, they remove the end links before doing any hard launches. The swaybar works against the front end lifting and doesn't allow full weight transfer. In your case it's ripping the swaybar out of the frame...

I don't think adding a swaybar to the rear in place of the front bar would be of any benefit. If you want the car to corner you need to rethink the suspension mods and give up the dragstrip hole shot to gain cornering ability.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 11, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

the front shocks are adjustable to 80/20 and I think 60/40 would changing those settings be enough to have the sway bar not rip out?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 12, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

I realize cornering and drag racing are 2 different games but can't there be a little compromise between the 2 A little weight transfer and still keep the antisway bar. I am sure I can't be the only one with this dilemma.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 12, 07:30 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I think most guys looking to go around corners and drag race build their car for going around corners fast and kinda live with not having a dialed in quarter mile burner. Drag shocks and disc brakes for drag cars just don't cut it carving corners!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 12, 11:30 PM
David Pozzi

The problem is the front bar arms are too short and get into severe angles quickly when the front end rises. Do you have the factory rubber droop stops on the underside of your upper A arms? They pop into a hole in the A arm. Shock length can also be used to limit upward travel. Make sure your sway bar end links are long enough and not too tight.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 12, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mike

Thanks so much for your reply. The rubber droop stops are in place. The shocks are competition engineering I don't think I can adjust the amount they extend only the rate. I will check out your website to see the what length the end links are they came with the bar. As far as them being tight I had no idea they could be looser to tighter just thought tighten til they stop and go.
Are you saying the front end travel limiters may help though?
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode