Camaro Ridetech complete coil over system - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 11, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Aaron

Camaro Ridetech complete coil over system

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here after a solid amount of information stealing the past few weeks. So firstly, I wanna say thank you for all the great advice and a couple of good laughs. And since it's Christmas I'll go ahead and say a big Merry Christmas to everyone!

So I bought a 69 Camaro (stock suspension and chassis) with a 502 big block a while back and I couldn't be happier with my purchase but like most, I'm hooked and looking for more. After some forum searching and advice from buddies I'm seriously considering the complete coil over system from ridetech with maybe the single adjustable shock upgrade. It's a little more spendy then the basic drop spring tvs type kit but I think in the long run I won't regret the extra time and money. I'll admit that I'm a full amateur working on these beautys so I wanted something that was mostly bolt on with as little fab required as possible. I do have some friends that are professionals in the area that can help if needed. I'm in full man mode though and wanna learn as I go doing as much of the project myself as possible.

With that said and if I go this direction I'm looking at needing a new 12 bolt rear end to make this happen since mines a 10. Moser seems to have a good one and I can get it with the brackets pre welded for the 4 link. I'm wanting to get the 4 wheel disk set up, probably from Baer with something like 13" rotors. Looks like I can even get the rear end with these already installed from Moser as well. My question is, how hard is it to assemble the rear end and brakes if I do it myself? Better to go pre assembled or DIY style. I want to learn and save some money so I'm thinking of doing it myself. Also should I look into any special gearing or mods to suit the big block? I'm sure Moser can help answer this for me if I go this way but just wondering if you guys have any suggestions. As for the front end, it will come with upper and lower arms as well as spindles. Is there anything I'm missing or need to add to this while I'm down there freshening everything up?

I'd like to run forgeline GA3 wheels with something like a 18X8 front 18x10 rear. It looks like I'll be able to fit these on without doing any other modifications?

Mike from Musclerodz recommended a steering box from DSE or Lee so I might check those out too. If your reading thanks for the info Mike!

Well I think that's about it, anything else I should consider with this package? Sub frame connectors etc? Anything I'm not seeing that could be a problem when installing? Thanks in advance and for the already overwhelming wealth of knowledge you guys have supplied me with.

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 11, 06:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Camaro Ridetech complete coil over system

First of all, Welcome to Team Camaro!
I would definitely install the subframe connectors. With that 502 in there the car will appreciate it, as will you.
The single adjustable shocks will be plenty. Unless of course you're planning on road racing this thing every weekend and want to tweak on it for the perfect setting at every track around. I believe by single they mean adjusting rebound and compression at the same time. I have those with my Varishocks.
The 18x8 and 18x10's should fit fine. Get the proper backspacing.
What are your plans for the car? What type of transmission do you have? All these will play a role in your gearing selection.
Nothing wrong with the Moser. If I had the money, my 10 bolt would have been replaced years ago! As for installing the brakes, go for it. There's a lot of help on here as you know and people are more than willing to help you through it. How much would you be saving if you installed everything yourself? Then of course if they install it, it's done and bolt in. It's nice to say, "I did it myself". I'm no help here! lol
The steering box would be a great upgrade as well. It's like driving a new vehicle. I did the IROC replacement on mine and cost me just under $200. I'm sure you've seen the thread on this upgrade... awesome info.
Congratulations on the car and keep us posted with the updates.

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Aaron

Thanks for the info! It's got a 350 turbo trans in it. I red up on the IROC box replacement, looks like the hot ticket! I live about 30 minutes from the Driverz inc shop I may go talk to them tomorrow. I have a good idea what I want but might be good to support the local shop and have they're help should any problems come up. Anyone have any experience with them? Also looks like there's some good holiday discounts from ridetech if you order before friday. Might jump on that tomorrow! Will keep you guys posted, thanks again!

Aaron

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwinner View Post
Thanks for the info! It's got a 350 turbo trans in it. I red up on the IROC box replacement, looks like the hot ticket! I live about 30 minutes from the Driverz inc shop I may go talk to them tomorrow. I have a good idea what I want but might be good to support the local shop and have they're help should any problems come up. Anyone have any experience with them? Also looks like there's some good holiday discounts from ridetech if you order before friday. Might jump on that tomorrow! Will keep you guys posted, thanks again!

Aaron
I used them for some new wheels and tirers. Jon seems very knowlegeable on what will work work and what won't. I am happy with my new set up and will most likely order another set of rears to mount some stickier tirers on. Good luck with your project. Mike

67 R/S Blue 406 518HP and 504TQ Dart block,Callies crank,Mahle pistons,Ultradyne cam 230/238 duration @.050 530 lift at 113 lsa, Afr 195 heads,Holley 4150HP carb and RPM Air gap. TKO600 with 373 gears
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 05:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

The rear brakes are a breeze to install. I have a Wilwood setup that I did in a couple of hours, I'm sure the Baer is just as easy. I think there were only six bolts on each side, plus a few shims to center the caliper on the rotor. If you can turn a wrench and follow a few simple directions, you can do it.

The Delphi 670 steering box is a great upgrade. I got mine from Unisteer, but everyone like the Lee box, and they have great customer service, and can valve it to your driving style (street/autoX/track, etc). Just make sure you get the inserts for the pressure and return lines coming out of the box.

big gear head (Freddie), is an authorized Moser dealer and very active on this site. I got a set of axles for my 12 bolt from him. He was easy to deal with and very responsive to my e-mails/PM's. PM him and he'll set you up with a 12 bolt built to your needs.

I got my tires and wheels from DriverzInc. Good guys and good prices. I also ordered my rear Wilwoods from them because I was looking to do a custom setup, and they took care of my needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Aaron

Thanks for all the info guys. I made the drive up to Driverz today and met with Jon. Ordered the coil over kit while the sale at Ridetech was still going. Gonna work on getting the 12 bolt, brakes, wheels and tires soon. Jon recommended a Currie rear end since thats what he carries. I've researched it some and they do look nice. Any thoughts?

I think I may do the front end myself (shocks, arms and brakes) and have him install the 4 link with the 12 bolt in the rear (brakes too since it's inconvenient not to do it all at the same time). He gave me a fair price on labor and it would be nice to know that everything will be done right. Now it's time to figure out the brakes, The Wildwood 13" kit looks awesome for the price but there's just somethin about the Baers that make me go wow. Maybe it's just the price tag!

Still looking at steering boxes, the Lee's look top notch but def spendy. Will keep you guys posted, thanks!

Aaron
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech
Monty

I am not saying anything bad about Moser or Currie as far as rear ends as I have heard lots of good results with both. Another you might consider is Strange Engineering S60. They are slightly heavier (someone said about 40#??), but pretty well bulletproof and come stock with 35 spline axles. I am getting ready to go with one this spring and you can get them set up with Willwoods or Baer brakes if desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode