Steering column length problem? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Steering column length problem?

1969 Camaro w/tilt wheel. P/S (changed to IROC fast box)

Removed the column to paint the car. Put in a new Iroc box, new steering box side coupler and when we went to install the column it wouldn't line up to the dash bolts. The dimension from the firewall to the coupler flange on the column is identical to the picture/ruler in page 2 of this post. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t=67155&page=2
4" 13/16

If you put the column in without the coupler the end of the column hits the steering box output shaft. It appears as if the column needs to collapse about 2"s or so to line up.

The steering box appears identical and the coupler is the correct one for the Iroc box change-out. based on the picture in the above post we must have the correct box and coupler.

Can the column collapse? Could it of expanded during the removal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 12:04 PM
Senior Tech
Guy

Re: Steering column length problem?

yes they do collapse, itry pulling it out. it is for safety.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

How much force is needed?

We tried usinga big screw driver when the coupler was removed to move the shaft up towards the fire wall. Should we be pressing from inside the car against the dash reinf with everything else bolted in? I dont want to damage a perfectly nice column

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Do u mean the coluum or the main sterring shaft?
If the shaft..go back to some of my orginal threads around 2004/2005 I think..
The shaft is in 2 bits one sides inside the other and a thin nylon 'thread' stops them from sliding...IF one uses a mallet to free the steering wheel or pulls like hell....doesnt use a elcheapo chinese steering wheel puller, the thread breack and the sharft becomes the wrong length.
And the amount of force required varies from car to car over the yrs

Check out my old orginal threads..it has a step by step, lengths distances how to etc etc.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 14, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Its been two years, back working on my car and i cannot mount the column under neath the dash. I need the column to collapse about 1" to effectively line up the two studs under the dash.
Again its the original column repainted and all I changed was the iroc box and coupling.

I need the dimension in this picture from some cars to determine if my dash got bent down or something else is messed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering to dash.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	60025  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode