Steering Column Help - TKO Install - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 12, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Garage
Steering Column Help - TKO Install

wondering if someone can tell me what this lever (in the photo) is for. It is located on the bottom of the steering column and hooks into some linkages that attach to the frame of the car. I am installing a tko and it does away with the linkage that attaches to this.

Todd J.
69 Vert, ZZ454, TKO600, Moser 12 Bolt, Hotchkiss Susp front & Rear - In The Works

Last edited by Toads69; Nov 7th, 12 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 12, 03:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: Steering Column Help - TKO Install

That lever connects to the reverse lockout linkage which connects to a lever on the side of your transmission better known as the reverse lockout.From the factory the car would need to be put into reverse in order to remove the key from the ignition effectively locking the car in reverse with the key removed.It also actuates the reverse back up light switch which is located on the top of the steering column.If you go with a TKO ,the linkage and bell crank on the frame will not be needed because the TKO has an internal back up light switch inside of the transmission.Hope this helps.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 12, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Garage

Thanks Matt

Todd J.
69 Vert, ZZ454, TKO600, Moser 12 Bolt, Hotchkiss Susp front & Rear - In The Works

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 12, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech

The lever on the steering column and the linkage to the shifter on the transmission was part of the General Motors, Steering Column/Transmission Shift Interlock System. When locking steering columns first became available in 1969, GM was very concerned that a driver might (for some reason) lock their steering column (and steering wheel) while the car was still moving straight ahead. So they came up with a backdrive system that required that a manual transmission had to be shifted into REVERSE or an automatic trans had to be shifted into PARK before the ignition key could be rotated to OFF-LOCK, the steering column locked, and the ignition key removed from the lock cylinder.

So with your 1969 (even though there is no longer a linkage system) you will need to rotate that lever on the lower end of the steering column to the full UP position (full CCW and about 1 o'clock if you could look down the steering column from the driver position and see it.) You will need to premanently lock it in that position. You will find that if the lever is in any other position, you will be able to shut off your engine, but you will not be able to lock your steering column and/or remove your ignition key.

You can hacksaw the lever off, but you will still need to come up with a method of fixing the shift tube in that full CCW 1 o'clock position.

The only drawback to removing the system is that you now could lock the steering wheel with the car rolling straight ahead.

Jim
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Garage

I think I would like to keep the steering column in tact. Is any of the Tremec packaging vendors providing a position lock mecahnism for this?
I suppose a block plate could be fabricated to prevent it from moving???

Todd J.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 01:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

You could just be creative and fab up a lock plate to hold the lever in position.It won't be that visible when you are done.Not to go off topic,but I see you have a ZZ 454 in your car.I have been considering this motor for myself for some time.Do you have any feed back about it either positive or negative? Are you happy with the power of this motor? Does it run well? How many miles do you have on it? Would you recommend it to someone else? Sorry for the pile of questions,I am just trying to get some real world feed back.Thanks.

12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 69 View Post
You could just be creative and fab up a lock plate to hold the lever in position.It won't be that visible when you are done.Not to go off topic,but I see you have a ZZ 454 in your car.I have been considering this motor for myself for some time.Do you have any feed back about it either positive or negative? Are you happy with the power of this motor? Does it run well? How many miles do you have on it? Would you recommend it to someone else? Sorry for the pile of questions,I am just trying to get some real world feed back.Thanks.
Matt - My cars not together yet so can"t really comment yet. I did have my carb custom calibrated and broke the engine in on the Dyno. Pulled 470hp at 5200rpm on the Dyno basically out of the box. I hope to have it running this summer.

Todd J.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech

no need for anything fancy to hold it in place- a piece of wire will work to tie it up and you can just turn the column by hand inside the car if the key won't turn back to the "lock" position.. and it's really easy to run a couple of wires from the factory reverse light wiring that plugs into the switch on top of the column down to the switch on the side of the new trans.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 07:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

I have this on my 69 Camaro Convertible with a 4 Speed, you have to put the Transmission in Reverse to get the Key out of the ignition..................
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 04:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thanks for the feed back Todd.Good luck with the build.

12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech

When I rebuilt my 69 column, I just added some 3M Strip Calk around the inner tube that the tab is part of, so that it was stuck (but not irremovably so) to the outer column and could not rotate. Been that way for more than 5 years, no issues. Figured that was cleaner than having a safety wire running to some fixed point...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode