New ball joints - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 12, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

New ball joints

I forgot to mention in my last post, my factory A-arms has newer ball joints in it. How do I tell if they are bad. When I had the tire on, before I tore it apart, I took holf of the top of the tire and the bottom of the tire tire and could not wiggle it. The uppers look easy as they are bolted in, but is the bottom pressed in. Might be easy time to do it as I want to clean up the A-arms. Also on the upper A-arms, I unbolted the two nuts that go towards the motor that the shims are on. How do I get the long rod off where the A-arm bushing go. Do I just unscrew the end bolts, if so is it all pressed together. Never done this before so I have questions. Thanks, Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 12, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: New ball joints

If your upper ball joints are bolted in, they have been replaced since they were riveted from the factory. If you are going to take it all apart for cleaning, the frst step is to loosen (don't remove) the castle nuts that are on the ball joints until there is about half the castle nut engaged on the threads of the ball joints. Smack the top and bottom of the spindle knuckle with a BFH until the top and bottom ball joints break free from the spindle. They will pop apart with alot of energy, so be ready for that. Once the top and bottom are popped loose, remove the shock and get a spring compressor on the spring and get the pressure off of it. After that you can remove the castle nuts and take the spindle off. After that, remove the long bolts through the bushings in the lower control arm, and take it off. In the upper control arm, remove the two nuts that you talked about that face the engine and remove the upper control arm. To get the bushings out, you've have to remove the 2 bolts that have the large formed washer on them that go into either end of the rod that goes through the bushings. These will need pressed out, so pay attention to how that goes because you will have to have the rod in the control arm as you press the new bushings in. It's not a terrible job, but be careful of the spring. There's alot of force stored in that spring.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 12, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

Thanks, I had the spindle and top and bottom A-arms off already, my spring was broken so there was not a lot of pressure. I has the spring compressor tool, but used a jack under the lower A-arm and that seemed to work better. How do I get the lower ball joiunt of of the A-arm, I need to sandblast them before I coat the A-arms, and want the ball joints out so I do not ruin them. Is the bottom one pressed in, and as for the top one, can I just unbolt it and take it out. They look new, but cannot tell except for that I felt no wiggle in the tire, but it is also all apart. Thanks, Jerod

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 12, 12:14 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Just unbolt and remove the top ball joint. You'll have to press the lower one out and back in.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode