Help with master cylinder disassembly - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 12, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Help with master cylinder disassembly

I recently purchased an original US master cylinder for 1969 Camaro that had not been on a car for quite some time. I'm going to have it rebuilt but I am trying to get it completely disassembled so I can apply a zinc phosphate finish on it before sending it out. I have removed the clip on the back and got the rear piston out, I then removed the set screw on the inside of the bowl but the front piston seams to be stuck. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Help with master cylinder disassembly

Place MC in a drain pan sitting on the mounting surface.
Blow shop air into the top brake line port.
The air should push the piston out the sleeve.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I just tried that but still stuck. I'm going to soak it today and try again tonight. Any other suggestions?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Also, what is the best way to remove the brass inserts where the brake lines insert?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Insert removal, sliding hammer.
Piston removal, heat gun or propane torch to the cylinder.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Bottom linew if the piston is stuck so hard inside then that means 99 time out of a 100 the borees are so corridede /scored u will need to buy a new one or get that one reseelved...and resleeving cost way more than replacing.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Bottom line up front. Thanks for the help! Here is what worked:
I took the MS in to work today and let it soak in the echo friendly parts washer. I purchased a cheap dent pulling slide hammer on the way home and it worked great for pulling the brass seats out. This allowed a better seal when trying to blow into the line hole but it was still stuck. Then I applied some Kroil oil and let it sit some more. Finally used a 1/2'' drive extension and a light hammer to free up the back piston and get it moving freely. After that, the piston finally came out with air as initially recommended. Tomorrow I will have this thing hot tanked then bead blast and zinc phosphated so i can send it up to Karps to be rebuilt. Thanks again for all of the effective advice.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 12, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Juyst curious here...hadny been on the camaro for some time..OK but to seize up that much where had it been? ot in the weather with no lid for 30 yrs.
I have done many orginal MC and slave cylinders, often from old vintage that have been out in a farmers paddock for decades,..even filled with clay, but never have seen one that bad lol.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode