Team Camaro Tech banner

Steering Box Will this Work?

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Randy Brutout 
#1 ·
Would you recommend this steering box for my 67 camaro?

CP50004 1967-79 Camaro, 1968-79 Nova 1964-76 Chevelle, 1965-76 Fullsize Chevy Car, 1971-76 Jeep & 1964-76 AMC

Our 500 Series Box for your Nova, Camaro, Chevelle or Fullsize car is truly the best of its kind. A direct replacement for the factory power steering box or an easy way to upgrade from manual steering to power steering. The 14 to 1 ratio adds a new dimension of handling to your car, smooth operation and excellent road feedback.
Also, works with factory power steering pitman arm and 3/4-30 rag joint.
Uses the popular 7/16 tube size (11/16-18 inverted flare)pressure and 3/8 tube size (5/8-18 inverted flare) return port fittings.

#2 ·
Re: Steering Box Will this WOrk?

It sounds like a good option. What is the cost?
The stock 67 box is 17:1 so the 14:1 will feel much better. I went to 12.7:1 on a Delphi 600 box and thinking of going back to 14:1 for my urban driving style. Also if you have headers, consider clearance. Some clear a lot better than others.

#5 ·

It sounds like a good option. What is the cost?
The stock 67 box is 17:1 so the 14:1 will feel much better. I went to 12.7:1 on a Delphi 600 box and thinking of going back to 14:1 for my urban driving style. Also if you have headers, consider clearance. Some clear a lot better than others.
It's listed for about 420 but I can get it a little cheaper, someone also mentioned header clearance above will this be an issue? Need to do more research now!!!!

#3 ·

Be careful here. I believe the 14:1 was the optional fast ratio steering in 1969. This is not the firm feel or high effort like the 3rd generation's have. You may want to do some more research before buying that one. I love my 16:1 variable ratio box from AGR.

#4 ·

I would be worried about the turning radius. All of the listed cars had different turning radiuses. A Impala, Caprice or Chevelle box will bolt in but the internal stops will be different. This could cause turning and rubbing issues. You may want to check this out.

Good luck!

Thanks,

Ted

#11 ·
I almost got the CPP500 box, but after a couple of e-mails, they stopped replying (I was trying to piece together a whole setup, steering box, pump, brackets, hoses, etc.)

I ended up going with a Delphi 670 box 12.7:1 am very happy with it.

#14 · (Edited)
I used a website called Performance On Line (POL). I ordered their 14:1 kit for around $600 and I'm really satisfied with the results. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.