Compatible new master cylinder - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 13, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Compatible new master cylinder

After reading some of the old posts here about rebuilding master cylinders, I've decided that for simplicity and peace of mind I should probably just put a new one in and keep the original and rebuild it later if it's salvageable. Now I need to know which one to get that is compatible. Will this work for a 1967 RS with power drum brakes? [Wagner MC64986 New Master Cylinder]

I'm open to any other recommendations or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 13, 12:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Compatible new master cylinder

Convert to disc's.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 13, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Convert to disc's.
I'd like to, but need to tackle one thing at a time. I still would need a new MC. If I converted would I have to swap it out again or would the same MC work for discs?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 13, 03:49 PM
Team Member

Disc and drum master cyls are different. I also recommend converting to Discs.
The improvement is well worth the cost, after seeing snow today I would suggest you have all winter to do the upgrade.....

SSCARGO
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 13, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Klemp View Post
Disc and drum master cyls are different. I also recommend converting to Discs.
The improvement is well worth the cost, after seeing snow today I would suggest you have all winter to do the upgrade.....
OK, thanks to both of you for the advice. Since the MCs are different then it would make sense to do the disc conversion at the same time I swap out the master cylinder. I'll read up on what's involved to do it. I know there's lots of posts here on this topic. I definitely have the winter to tackle it. Any recommendations for where to get the parts and what to change out? Budget is kind of tight and this isn't a high powered car so I don't need to go high end performance.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 13, 05:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

You can use Chevelle spindles and just bolt on your steering brackets . Chevelle parts are all over the place. This will give you a single piston caliper like a 69. Have done it many times. You can get a factory repo booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve kit off ebay cheep. You could also go the kit way. Once you go disk you will never go back to drums.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 02:45 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I understand your tackle one thing at a time situation. Both drum and disc Master Cylinders are available for all first gens at all the on-line sources. You can get reproduction of original or new production MC's at reasonable costs. I purchased the reproduction for disc/drum for 1969's last spring and am happy with it, price was okay considering it is a reproduction of the original. I too kept the original and plan to rebuild it someday when my time, skill set and tools hit the same level needed for such a project.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

When doing a conversion on a 67 and using used and OTC parts, Chevelle/Monte calipers must be used. 69 caliper banjo bolts will contact 67 frame bumpstops. To minimize cost, buy Chevelle spindles like Keith said and just get an MC and calipers at your local parts house. No need to use a repro house for them. Calipers from my suppliers cost me 20 bucks each. I see repro houses are charging as much as $80. An MC can be locally purchased rebuilt or brand new. However, a parts store new MC is not original looking.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

So Brian understands what my dilemma is: a quick $40 MC swap with serviceable brakes or figuring out all the necessary parts and spending the time and money for the conversion. I totally get what Keith and Scott are saying about rounding up the Chevelle spindles and getting inexpensive parts vs. an expensive kit but that will take this novice more time to figure all of that out too. Then there's the issue of this snowballing in time and money because I will still need a new MC and I assume a new booster. From what I've read, I will need to upgrade to 15" wheels to assure everything fits or buy 14" rally wheels and match it to a stock type disc setup. Does it make sense if I just swap the MC now and spend the winter figuring out everything I need to do for the conversion? I'm doing everything myself for the satisfaction I get and because its a hobby. I work pretty slow but I try to do it right. It took me a few months of weekends to rebuild the suspension but it came out great. I really appreciate all the great advice here and everybody's responses have really made me think it through.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 08:30 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Mike - I would expect that your booster is still okay

If the specs of the [Wagner MC64986 New Master Cylinder] match these for

67 Power Drum front/rear:
http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_19..._p/brc-144.htm

Assuming you have power based on the Booster statement but in case you don't - manual drums:
http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_19..._p/brc-145.htm

You should be okay.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I think the boosters fine if I stay with drums for now. I was referring to the need to change the booster if I go with discs. Is that the case or is the stock booster for power drum brakes sufficient for discs as well? Seems as if the disc conversion kits come with booster and master cylinder together.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 10:38 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Depends on which kit / vendor you go with. What size diameter booster is on the vehicle?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 04:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I say just throw a parts store master cylinder on it and look around for what option works best for you. You have been given a few options, time , money, and skill will answer your dilemma. Good luck. Like Scot said calipers are dirt cheep. My cost on calipers is only $8.95 per side for rebuilt GM parts.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Thanks Keith. It's great to know it can be done without too much cost. I'm convinced I'm going to do the disc conversion as soon as I can.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 05:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Mine came with disk, but have changed a few in the past. The best upgrade hands down , except a real friggin engine. I have also done big brake kits on the rear pretty cheep with police car rear drums and backing plates.

X-77 keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode