disc brake swap questions - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

disc brake swap questions

I am debating changing my 68 Camaro over to power front disc brakes , presently I have no power drum/drum. I have located a used front disc setup locally off a 71 monte carlo . The present drum setup is absolutely horrible and I have changed master cylinder to a rebuilt, twice, I have rebuilt wheel cylinders all around nothing seems to help. I have shoes from the local autozone . I have read many posts on this and am totally confused. My Camaro has the item under the master cylinder with 4 or 5 lines going in and out of it with a brown wire connection on it. I don't know if it has the block under the drivers door because it is in a storage unit and there is no room to get down and see. I don't drive this car in the winters. When I change this over to power disc, do I keep the unit under the master cylinder or is there something else I need to install in its place. If the other unit is under the drivers door on the frame do I keep that, and if it isn't there do I need it . please help me understand what I need in the system to make it work properly as far as these valves are concerned. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: disc brake swap questions

The unit under the master cylinder you're referring to is the proportioning valve. You need one for front disc brakes. Does the Monte Carlo stuff not come with one ? You will also need the correct master cylinder and booster and if I remember correctly, you will need to move the brake rod to a different hole in the brake pedal. The Monte Carlo rod may or may not be the proper length. I simply don't know. The valve on the frame is not an absolute must have. Now to the other parts. I would recommend buying new rotors and rebuilt calipers since the condition of the Monte stuff is unknown. So in reality the only thing you "should" be using from the Monte is the spindles, caliper brackets & backing plates. 20-25 Years ago when disc brake stuff was hard to find buying used setups from donor cars was a cheap way to convert your Camaro. These days it's usually cheaper & easier to buy a kit. Just my opinion from messing with this old junk for the past 40 years... Interestingly I bought my first "hotrod" in Belchertown almost 40 years ago. A 39 Chevy coupe with a 327 that I paid $200 for...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 09:11 AM
Guess

In a manual drum\drum car, that block is just a distribution block. Not a proportioning valve. Even on power drum\drum it's a distribution block.
You'll need a power disc\drum proportioning valve.

A Monte is a front steer car. Those spindles won't work.

When all is said and done... booster\master, calipers and brackets, prop valve and bracket, brake lines, clips, etc... is easier and better to just buy a kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 09:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I converted a previous 68, many many years ago, using all 70 monte stuff. the spindles worked fine.

Scott

5.3L LM7, Carb conversion, TKO 5 speed
It's gonna run this year!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 10:05 AM
Guess

I'm thinking Chevelle.... my mistake.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 11:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

I believe the spindles will work, you will have to switch the steering arms and use the Camaro arms on the Monte spindles
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampstoyz View Post
I believe the spindles will work, you will have to switch the steering arms and use the Camaro arms on the Monte spindles
^^^^^ This... I have done it many times in the past. Because the steering arms bolt on there is no difference in the spindles. Just use the Camaro arms. In fact there is no left & right to the spindles. Both sides are the same. I could go out to the shop & look up exactly what fits in my Hollander parts interchange book but basically 68-72 GM midsize including the Monte, 68-74 Nova and the other GM cars that share that subframe, 67-69 Camaro & Firebird. Maybe others but these I'm sure of as far as spindles & Rotors. Calipers will be 69 & newer due to the older ones being 4 piston but there are many models & years that are the same up into the early 80s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16h,!y8E9s2fl7nrBRZzmMh6(Q~~60_12.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	53041  

Last edited by NHBandit; Nov 21st, 13 at 12:16 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 03:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Funny, I was in Belchertown this morning. I live a couple towns away. I agree about the kits. I did the front disc swap years ago using a Stainless Steel kit and it was a breeze with very good instructions. I'd like to now swap the rear drums with discs, but probably again easier and possibly cheaper in the long run to use a kit. Plus no guess work. Just my two cents.

1969 X44, 355 SBC, BDS 6-71 blower, dual Eddy carbs, TCI Streetfighter TH350, 4000 stall, Denny's driveshaft, 10-bolt 8.5 rear w/4.56 gears, Caltracs, M&H drag radials, 10 point cage
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yes I did my research on what cars would work as far as front disc setups and the 71 monte carlo (according to david Pozzi) was one that would interchange to the 67-69 f body. So if that block under the MC is not a proportioning valve, do I leave that there and add a proportioning valve or do I remove the present valve and install a proportioning valve?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 03:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

On my 69, that distribution block was kept and a proportioning valve was added in the line going to the rear.

1969 X44, 355 SBC, BDS 6-71 blower, dual Eddy carbs, TCI Streetfighter TH350, 4000 stall, Denny's driveshaft, 10-bolt 8.5 rear w/4.56 gears, Caltracs, M&H drag radials, 10 point cage
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 04:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Yes Chris is correct, if using stock parts they both need to be there. Monte Carlo, Chevelle and all the others of the early 70's , are front steer, but if you use the arms off your drum spindles you will be fine.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode