Do I "really" need new Brake Lines for Conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Do I "really" need new Brake Lines for Conversion

I've been looking into upgrading Manual Drum/Drum set up in 1968 Camaro to a Manual Front Disc/Rear Drum Set Up. I have gotten mixed answers when I asked this question at a few of the vendors.

PO installed new brake lines on car and they still look new, do I need to order new brake lines to convert to Front Manual Disc?

Some vendors say all conversion kits need new lines as the OEM lines will not attach correctly. Why is the world not, why not put correct fittings for OEM?

Would I need all new lines or just front lines and the rear lines would mate up ok?

I'm looking at Right Stuff, 60 to zero kits and Pirate Jacks.

60 to zero said I should be ok, just might need to bend them a lil to match up to prop valve, Right Stuff said I really should get thier pre bent lines kit, but when pressed would not really answer if it is a must have. I have not called Pirate Jacks, but another company posted on e-bay had in thier description, NO Disc conversion kit on the market will work with OEM lines and anyone stating this is lying?

Anyone know for sure, and if so, why not make the kits compatable with OEM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 11:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Do I "really" need new Brake Lines for Conversion

The difference is the angle the hard lines leave the subframe. I forget which is which, but one goes out, the other goes down.
Flex lines meant to attach to "out" will be too short attached to "down".

The factory disk brake flex lines are too short to properly reach drum brake hardlines.

Answer is to get non-stock flex lines that are a couple inches longer than factory ones.

The vendors who make brake restoration and upgrande products are familiar with this and have the correct lines to make it work.

Or you could find a nice napa counterman who wll pull out a factory disk brake line, and find one 2" or so longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks Jim, so the issue isn't really the ends or fittings are not correct, it's the actual length of the lines that are the problem. I was understanding or worried I guess that the fittings themselves would not work. I might get a lil lucky as my lines seem a bit long. But as long as the fittings are correct I might get a kit to work.
thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

I want to make sure I am understanding when you refer to flex lines. Are you referring to the rubber and/or braided lines that it looks as though comes with most of the kits?

It seems when I spoke to the vendors they were referring to the hard lines not matching up to the MC and dis valve?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Brake hoses usually attach to hardlines (especially in a factory type setting like yours) using standard fittings. The attachment to the actual caliper end of the brake hose can vary depending on the caliper/manufacturer.

Seeing as you asked about a disc/drum setup, your rear brake situation should already be settled. Do your front brake lines (lines are steel and hoses are flexible) come over the frame rail and mount on the side of the rail pointing down or do they stop at the top of the rail?

If they go over the side then just get a regular GM single piston sliding D52 style caliper setup. If they stop at the top get the same setup, but a longer hose.

You'll also need a proportioning valve plumbed between the MC and the front part of the distribution block or a replacement combination (prop/dist) valve block.

Do the answer to your question is no, you shouldn't need new lines (especially on the back).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks Micheal, I will need to look at the set up to see how they are setup on the front.
But I'm glad I asked as I didn't want to waste money on lines I didn't need. I know they are not extremely exspensive, but I have a tight budget and every dollar adds up. I kinda figured they were pushing thier hardlines with the wishy washy answers when I asked specifically why they would not work and they gave generic answers that didn't really answer.
Thanks for the help
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 13, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The front disk steel line is a little larger than the drum line. So I would say to replace it with the line that will supply the caliper " that takes much more fluid than a wheel cylinder" so you have optimal brake performance. The brackets that hold the ends of the steel line on the frame are not the same either. The brakes and the steering are things that I never skimp on. All USA parts the first time , are usually the only time needed. The caliper uses much more fluid than the drums, that is why the master cylinder has a bigger reservoir for the front disk. So to answer your question , I think you realy do need new lines. The rear should be fine.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode