Suspension Replacement Suggestions - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Question Suspension Replacement Suggestions

I am getting ready to order parts to do a complete rebuild of my front and rear suspension. I already have Hotchkis lowering springs for the front, and plan on buying lowering leafs for the rear. I plan on staying with rubber bushings for the rest of the vehicle.

My question is, what manufacturer/dealer sells the best quality replacement bushings? Do they offer a kit that does the entire vehicle?

Majority of the suspension on my car is original. Everytime I raise my car on jack stands, chunks of dry rubber fall to the ground...it's really bad.

In addition to upper and lower ball joints, pitman arm, tie rod ends, tie rod sleeves, and control arm bushings, are there any other pieces that I'll need?

I also think that all of the body bushings are in a similar condition. Maybe I should replace those while I'm at it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 11:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Suspension Replacement Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMan469 View Post
I am getting ready to order parts to do a complete rebuild of my front and rear suspension. I already have Hotchkis lowering springs for the front, and plan on buying lowering leafs for the rear. I plan on staying with rubber bushings for the rest of the vehicle.

My question is, what manufacturer/dealer sells the best quality replacement bushings? Do they offer a kit that does the entire vehicle?

Majority of the suspension on my car is original. Everytime I raise my car on jack stands, chunks of dry rubber fall to the ground...it's really bad.

In addition to upper and lower ball joints, pitman arm, tie rod ends, tie rod sleeves, and control arm bushings, are there any other pieces that I'll need?

I also think that all of the body bushings are in a similar condition. Maybe I should replace those while I'm at it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-James
Why have you decided to go with rubber replacements?

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
Why have you decided to go with rubber replacements?
I don't want to have a lot of money tied up in the components, and the roads near me are pure garbage. I just figured that it would be the most cost effective option for the "softest" ride... Is that not true?

I'm not completely against "upgrading" components, as long as the increase in price was worth the increase in performance. Know what I mean?

When I first decided that I was going to replace the suspension I had decided to go with SC&C tubular control arms, Howe tall ball joints, poly or delrim bushings, etc. but the cost isn't justifiable now...or so it seems.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:13 PM
Team Member
Ty

Definitely change the body bushings.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 12:34 PM
Corky

I did a lot of comparison shopping when I did my 79 Z28 this past winter and would up ordering all steering and suspension parts from Rockauto.com I got all Moog parts so I'm satisfied with that. I also went with rubber on a-frame bushings since poly is getting a bad reputation with the autocross guys. I did replace the body bushings with poly but have since purchased a set of solids and will be taking the poly out. Unless you're going to race this car, I think rubber will serve you well. Good luck with this.

Corky
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech

I used pst poly bushing kit for my 69 camaro and 74 nova front end.. I am very happy with the kit. I also put in kyb gas shocks. I put poly bushing on body and rear leaf springs and I am very happy.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

2x on PST. I did my suspension over 10 years ago with a PST kit along with Hotchkis parts, still feels as solid today. I stuck with rubber body bushings with exception of the rear one which is the poly one that came with the Hotchkis SFC 's.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 01:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Go with solid body bushings, and let the suspension handle the "softness" of the ride.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Go with solid body bushings, and let the suspension handle the "softness" of the ride.
Yup.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 13, 02:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
I don't want to have a lot of money tied up in the components, and the roads near me are pure garbage. I just figured that it would be the most cost effective option for the "softest" ride... Is that not true?

I'm not completely against "upgrading" components, as long as the increase in price was worth the increase in performance. Know what I mean?

When I first decided that I was going to replace the suspension I had decided to go with SC&C tubular control arms, Howe tall ball joints, poly or delrim bushings, etc. but the cost isn't justifiable now...or so it seems.
I'd suggest the both the delrin UCA/LCA bushings (you can reuse your current control arms, although the SC&C arms are pretty nice), the tall ball joints and quality shocks, with the balance of the front steering/suspension replaced as needed. The idea is to make the control arm pivot points as frictionless as possible, so the springs and shocks can do their jobs. If you get a lot of "stiction" on a big jolt to the front tires, the car will seem much rougher than it would with delrin control arm bushings.

The tall ball joints correct the camber curve for the front end and will improve handling even on the street, particularly if you go to modern, wider tires.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
I have heard that's the best way to go. Who sells the best solid body bushings? Do they sell them as a complete kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
2x on PST. I did my suspension over 10 years ago with a PST kit along with Hotchkis parts, still feels as solid today. I stuck with rubber body bushings with exception of the rear one which is the poly one that came with the Hotchkis SFC 's.
I have heard good things about Performance Suspension Technology as well. I am hesitant to go with the poly kit because I have heard bad reviews about it making the car too "stiff", and leading to annoying squeaks. Have you experienced any of those symptoms? Do they carry a complete rubber kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
I'd suggest the both the delrin UCA/LCA bushings (you can reuse your current control arms, although the SC&C arms are pretty nice), the tall ball joints and quality shocks, with the balance of the front steering/suspension replaced as needed. The idea is to make the control arm pivot points as frictionless as possible, so the springs and shocks can do their jobs. If you get a lot of "stiction" on a big jolt to the front tires, the car will seem much rougher than it would with delrin control arm bushings.

The tall ball joints correct the camber curve for the front end and will improve handling even on the street, particularly if you go to modern, wider tires.
Thanks a lot for the input. I think the delrin control arm bushings would be a good idea. What supplier has the best quality delrin bushings? Do they sell a complete kit?

I already have Hotchkis lowering coil springs and Moog lower ball joints. I am also pricing out Hotchkis lowering leafs. Other than those things, I need everything else...

I really appreciate all of your help and guidance!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

I used Global West upper and lower Del-a-lum bushings and love them. I can move the control arms up and down with one finger, exactly how Mike describes "frictionless". They sell a nice kit.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Are you wanting to keep the car basically stock or do you want to improve the handling of the car? If you want it stock I can't offer any help cause I don't do stock. However if you want to improve the handling and braking I would recommend you take a look at the 48 Hour Camaro built by RideTech. All bolt on components and the results are amazing.

http://www.ridetech.com/48hourcamaro/

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! Jeremy Clarkson

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 13, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwi67 View Post
I used Global West upper and lower Del-a-lum bushings and love them. I can move the control arms up and down with one finger, exactly how Mike describes "frictionless". They sell a nice kit.
Did you reuse the stock control arms? Or did you go aftermarket tubular?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 13, 08:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
I have heard that's the best way to go. Who sells the best solid body bushings? Do they sell them as a complete kit?
I used a set from Fesler: http://www.shopfesler.com/chevrolet-...t-body-mounts/
Global West sells them as well: http://www.globalwest.net/1967-1968-...uspension.html
Detroit Speed, but you have to re-use your bolts, or buy their bolts sepately: http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...dy-mounts.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode