Ball Joints, boots, poly or rubber - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 13, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

Ball Joints, boots, poly or rubber

I have a problem with my 68 camaro ball joints, or the boots. This is a project car, all new suspension. Going for a correct factory look. I believe I bought all from either Ricks or classic industries. The ball joints have the rubber boots, and two of them are cracked and have holes in them. The car has been sitting, in a garage for close to two years, without the engine in it, just a delay on finishing the car. Not sure why the rubber boots are junk. There seems to be a lot of pinching the way the control arms are sitting. Wonder if I did something wrong. They have to be replaced. So would like to go with Poly boots. Does someone know of good upper and lower ball joints that have poly boots, and which looks somewhat correct? At this point I really do not care, just want something good, where the boots will not tear. And do not look forward to pulling the springs out again. Any help with this appreciated. Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 13, 07:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Re: Ball Joints, boots, poly or rubber

With no engine in the car the boots should not be pinched. If the ball joints are new, you can just replace the boots. The poly boots come in red or black. Both the red and the black will be very shiny. I think I have a set of black poly boots you can have if you want them. They came with my poly bushing kit, but I put Mooge boots on my car to not have the shine. The boots can be purchased by themselves from Classic Industries, and many other places I am sure. PS: the boots will tear if a ball joint fork is used to remove the joint.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 13, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

Thanks, and the ball joints are new. Seem odd to me, because the uppers do not have that plate on it that seals the boot at the underside of the ball joint where it bolts in. Which I know is what my originals had. So not real sure how the replacement poly boots would go on. Or if it comes with that metal plate. I am assuming the ones I got, (the ball joints), are good quality, or hope. The boots just seem to be squashed right now. Guess I can call the parts supplier and ask them the best route also.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 13, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

Forgot to add. How do the poly boots stay in place, should they have some kind of shroud or metal plate that seals them from the bottom when you bolt in the upper ball joint. And how about the bottoms? Has been a while since i put the lowers in, and do not recall how the boots on those sit in there, or if you can pull it off and put a poly one on it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 13, 01:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The bottom does not have a plate. The poly boot on the top can be used without the plate, due to some have no shoulder on them. Mine are Energy Suspension, and I don't think they have a shoulder. Do you know what brand your joints are? TRW, and Mooge are all I use. Good luck.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

I got the suspension complete kit from I believe Ricks camaros. I think it is Classic Industries, or classic suspension. Mainly because it is supposed to be technically correct. Now I do not care so much, just do not want torn boots. I think my problem is i do not understand ball joints, or the boots, how they should work. Are they supposed to be seal completely, or does just the force from below keep them in place? The ones I have for the upper just have a metal ring right above the boot, the top part of the boot just fits in that ring a little. I have heard I can just add the poly boot to this ball joint. Not sure why moog should be so much better, but guess I should look into them. Do you know if they sell ball joints that look close to the original, but are better, or will not give me problems? thanks again in advance.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 05:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

You can just add the poly boot to your joint. I have never had any problems with Moog. I guess you would be fine with an American made joint with a grease fitting.

X-77 keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode