How to remove positive camber of front tire alignment? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How to remove positive camber of front tire alignment?

I have a 1969 Camaro with 350/350 engine and trans combo. I rebuilt the suspension with all new bushings,ball joints,shocks and polyurethane subframe bushings. I converted the front to a factory disc brake setup. I have noticed that I have some positive camber on both front tires and I want to at least adjust it for ZERO camber so that I can drive it to a shop for a proper front end alignment.

When I rebuilt the front suspension I made sure and put the upper control arm bushings back where they came from on each side and when I replaced the subframe bushings I changed them out one at a time so that I wouldn't disturb the alignment of the frame itself...I also used some big bolts to stick into the locating holes near each subframe bushing to make sure things stayed the same.

(For the driver side upper control arm there are 3 shims on the front and 1 shim in the back.)

(For the passenger side upper control are there is 1 shim in front and 1 shim int the back.)

When I replaced the front ball joints,bushings and shocks I had the car up on jack stands and I also tightened the front upper control arms and everything while it was on jack stand.....I think that I made a mistake by doing that and may have messed up my alignment when I got the car off jack stands and sitting on its own weight???

My question is what steps do I need to do in order to get the positive camber out and back to at least zero camber so I can drive it to the alignment shop.

If somebody could list the steps in order it would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 08:28 AM
Guess

Re: How to remove positive camber of front tire alignment?

I don't think I'd worry about it if all you're doing is driving it to the shop. It would take many miles before you'd even start to see any negative tire wear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 09:10 AM
Senior Tech
Al

As Joe said, you're not going to harm anything just driving it to the alignment shop. You should loosen the control arm(s) bushing bolts, bounce the suspension, and torque them properly with the cars weight on the wheels.

Al

my 67' build thread:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 13, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

As the others said, don't worry about camber for the drive to the alignment shop.

However, check the toe in. This is the measurement that most affects tire wear.

With the cars weight on the wheels, measure the distance between the front tires both at the front and at the rear. Adjust the tie rods so that the front of the tires are about 1/16" to 1/8" closer together than the rear of the tires. Have a helper hold one end of the tape measure. Try to measure as high off the ground as possible. That will get you close enough for the trip to the shop.

Definitely follow Al's advice about doing the final torque of the control arm bushings with the weight on the wheels.

67 Camaro, 96 LT1, 4L60E
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If you haven't rolled the car after it came off the jack stands, having positive camber in the front suspension is perfectly normal as the wheels were hanging down with the top of the wheels further out than the bottoms when it hit the ground. Roll the car out of the garage for several wheel revolutions and the wheels will assume their final "as-rebuilt" configuration.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode