Coil spring spacers and cut coils - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 13, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Coil spring spacers and cut coils

Anyone ever install coil spacers under cut coils? I'm putting some Global West 1/2" coil spacers (1103) in this weekend, and trying to determine if the coil will need to be rotated a particular way to accommodate a half coil cut from each spring.

Coils have settled a little too much since install and I'm getting some slight rubbing that I need to address.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 13, 06:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Coil spring spacers and cut coils

The coils are indexed at the top (index hole) and fall where they may at the bottom, cut or not. I used 3/8 spacers on 3" drop Hotchkiss coils no probs so far. I did use some fine wire (florist wire) to hold the spacers in place on the coil bottom while getting things back together.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 13, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks Robert. I had thought the same thing, but wasn't sure. I contacted Global West today, and the rep there made it seem that it really depends on how the coil is seated now due to the 1/2" cut from the coil, but I thought that the spacer will sit in the bottom cradle identical to how it is shaped now, and the spring will sit in the identical position as it sits now, just higher.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 13, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Shane

Mine was the same as yours, it settled just a liitle too much after new Moog 6308s. I also used the GW 1/2 spacers as a temporary fix. In the future I would like to go with the same ride height but stiffer spring.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 13, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Finished this up today. Problem is that I can't get the spring compressor head out from the middle of the spring. Anyone know a trick to do this? I was able to straighten it out and did it successfully on the right side, but having problems with the left for some reason. I'm using this one:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=555573_0_0_
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 13, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Chad, Position a floor jack under the lower control arm and separate the lower ball joint from the spindle. Lower the jack enough to let the spring extend so as to open the coil spacing but not so much as to allow the spring to move out of position. Pull the compressor fingers out between 2 coils. You may need to pry open the coils enough to allow the fingers to be removed. Re-assemble. I've done it this way many times.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 13, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks Al.

I'm not sure why I was able to get it out of the other side without removing anything? I was just putting spacers at the bottom of the coil, and did so successfully on both sides without having to support the control arms or separate the ball joints. Its almost like one of those magic tricks where you have to know now the triangles untangle themselves...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 13, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Finally got it. Nothing a ball pined hammer couldn't take care of. Seems like the more frustrated I get, the more hammers end up coming out of the tool box. I am going to have to order the 3/8" spacers though. The 1/2" are going to be too much. These 1/2" spacers lifted the front end 1 1/4"....about 1/4" too much.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 13, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Where is your camber set at?

I had a slight rub at the top of the fender on one side and it turned out that side had a degree positive camber. Had both sides put to -.5 and no more rub even on big dips in the road.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 13, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwi67 View Post
Where is your camber set at?

I had a slight rub at the top of the fender on one side and it turned out that side had a degree positive camber. Had both sides put to -.5 and no more rub even on big dips in the road.
Hey Bobby. I've put maybe 300 miles on her since the last alignment about 3 months ago. When i first took the car in, I had a pretty heavy positive camber. After the alignment, as I recall, my camber was -.3 degrees on one side and -.4 on the other.

You bring up a good point though. I know that the coils adjusted about 1/4" after cutting 1/2 coil off. I wasn't having any rubbing issues before, so I'm 'assuming' that its the height. Even though its a little high, I'm going to go for a spin tomorrow and see if I get any rubbing.

I know after changing all of this, I'm going to have to go and have it done again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode