Front suspension install - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 13, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Front suspension install

So I pulled my subframe out and cleaned it. Need to work on the body mount areas and there is a crack in the area where the power steering gearbox goes…no big deal…going to weld her up, but I was wondering……after I get the frame all ready, is it better to install the new suspension with the frame out of the car or should I mount the freme and get it all aligned, then install the suspension? What do you think?

Thanks!!!!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 13, 04:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

Re: Front suspension intall

i put my a arms back on with it out, but i would never try to install the springs without it attached and a lot of weight attached to hold it down. my two cents.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 13, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

I'm putting a ride tech suspension in with coil overs, so would I still need the weight with those? Only reason I was thinking of waiting until the frame was installed was because I figured it would be easier to make adjustments to the subframe alignment if there wasn't anything on it yet (lighter). What do ya think?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 13, 09:08 PM
Tech Team
Greg

I would square the sub frame to the body and torque the bushing's down. Much easier to install suspension parts on a sub frame that's solid and not moving around on you. Good luck

68 Camaro-350 w/4 bolt main,30 over piston's,melling rv cam,camelback head's,600 cfm edelbrock carb,edelbrock dualplane manifold,dual header's w/ flowmaster's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 13, 10:27 PM
Senior Tech
Al

When I did mine I installed the bare subframe,squared it to the body, then the engine and trans, then the suspension. Nice to have the weight of the engine in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 13, 11:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevynutz View Post
I would square the sub frame to the body and torque the bushing's down. Much easier to install suspension parts on a sub frame that's solid and not moving around on you. Good luck
I agree 100% As stated above as well make sure the sub is aligned with the body first. Then install the parts.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 13, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Sounds good guys! I'll install the bare frame first then and go from there!

Regarding aligning the frame to the body….the alignment dimension drawing shows going from the center of the mounting holes in some dims. How did you guys make your measurements there….how did you make a measurement from the center of a hole? When i was checking the dims before I pulled the frame off, I tried using a plumb bob but I was just trying to hold it in the center of the bolt head as best I could. Is there a more accurate way to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode