poor steering - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 14, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
jessie

poor steering

Everything on the front susp of my 69 camaro is new and has been aligned. The car goes straight on a level road but wants to try and dart all over the road on a less than perfect road. Thinking about putting on a set of tubular control arms and will not use any of the Chinese ones. Which USA ones are the best bang for the buck. All help appreciated. Thanks, Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 14, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: poor steering

Qa1, DSE, and Global West come to mind and would be a world of improvement over 45 year old technology .

68 originally ss (straight six) 406,Afr210,Bullet solid roller,rpm airgap,QF750,th400,3.73 Eaton posi.11.02 @ 122.74
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 14, 06:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I find it difficult to believe that the 'type' of control arms will affect 'wandering' on a rough road. Generally, I'd suspect tires (are you using bias belted tires or radials?), Or steering type (or sloppiness).

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 14, 07:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I think it might be lack of positive caster or excess play in steering box. Without knowing you current alignment specs I'd guess that here might be some adjustment left in your current set up. Some of the aftermarket arms have more positive caster built in. Many on here are very happy they up graded to the IROC steering box. Just my .02

Jeff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 14, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Yep, post up tires/sizes and alignment specs used. A factory suspension car with modern tires can be made to handle pretty good with correct alignment.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 14, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech
Kip

yep... figure out what the issue is before blindly throwing parts at an unknown problem...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 14, 09:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

+1 more to all that.

Find a new alignment shop. It's going to take time to find a guy who can properly align your car. It literally took me about 6 weeks and, ironically, it's the place closest to my house.

The problem you'll find is that most computer alignment shops don't have the software suite to handle old cars. Most young guys don't know the proper way to align these things either. So you're looking for an old wrench with new technology and software for old cars. It's tough to find! I had to call every shop in town before finding one and I live in a city with 60k people in an area that has a LOT of muscle cars.

You might be able to get it done at a dealership but it'll be a few dollars more typically (but a whole lot less than throwing expensive parts at the problem only to find yourself in the same spot when it's done!).

My car used to wander all over the road as well until I had it professionally aligned. No matter what I did I couldn't get the caster right. Camber and toe are easy to do in your garage but caster is a whole 'nuther ball game (and that's what causes the wandering).

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 14, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Take note of what Jeff says above....
I wil lay odds its alignment assumming that u have good tyres, wheel bearings , ball joints etc

A 1st gen camaro drives exactly as u want it to be it granny driving around town or track, and still runs like a go cart.
get around 3.5 to 4 degrees in the caster.. tow 1/8"
As others state above.. forget doing it yourself... we have been there done that... hands on experience and decades of knowledge.
And choose your alignment guy very carefully
In choosing your guy to do it (note guy not workshop) ask how he gets the steering wheel straight at the end..
If he says they pull it off and re set move to another guy...dont even consider him hes full of BS and will mess up the splines in the steering column, most properly screw the shaft/ bolt threads and the indicators will not work right... and chances are re pulling the steering wheel off will break the collapsible steering column set up

Make use of the search function above for how tos , specs etc.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 14, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Caster effects how the steering wheel returns to center after rounding a corner and steering feel which equates to a heavy or light feeling. More caster makes the wheel feel heavier and return to center quicker. This feeling is much more pronounced in a car with/out power steering.

I would look at your toe measurements. If you have a toe out situation, which means the front of the tires are not parallel (they point out) with the back side of the front tires, the car will want to wander. Bump steer comes into play but I don't have enough room to write about that. Normally you want to align your front tires parallel or toe in 1/32nd or 1/16th of an inch. This will make the car feel steady in a straight line and under braking as long as the bump steer is set correctly.

There is much more to front steering and suspension as you have to take into account bump steer, caster, camber and toe.

As mentioned, the key is finding a good alignment shop that knows how to deal with our older cars.

Good luck
Mike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 14, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

^x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode