Power Steering 69 Z/28 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 14, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Power Steering 69 Z/28

Hi I have a 69 Z/28 and would like to add power steering to it. I have owned the car since 74 and for some reason it does not turn as easy as I remember. Anyway I do see kits on the market ranging from say $600 to $800 dollar range.
The car is mostly original with the 302 and 12 bolt. But it does have headers and the air pump removed.
One vendor says to check with them concerning the headers, not sure if this is an issue looks like a lot of room there.
I try to keep the car as original as possible keeping the original parts where I can.
My questions are. Will the affect the value much? How hard is it to put on? Could the headers be an issue?
I do see the Z/28's are different that a standard Camaro, think its the pitman arm length.
I think adding this will add to my enjoyment of the car as I am not as strong as I used to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5040049.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	57842  

Last edited by njbob; Jan 4th, 14 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added Attachment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Buddy

Re: Power Steering 69 Z/28

The first thing I did when I bought my Z-28 in 1978, was remove the power steering. I was 22 years old, and it robbed 5 horsepower! While cleaning out my parents house about six or seven years ago, I came upon a box upstairs in the garage. I went to pick it up and it was heavy. I opened the box, and there was my power steering set up. It was nice to put it back as I had just turned 50! There are some differences. The pitman arm for one. The most expensive piece will be the deep groove power steering pulley. I have seen NOS ones on eBay for $800. It is not a problem running headers with power steering. You just need a spacer to make up the thickness of the exhaust manifold. You will lose some road feel as it is not variable ratio. That started in 70.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 14, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

I added power steering to my 69 Z back in 2000. It was a simple change over once you have accumulated the parts. I ended up buying a repo deep groove pulley as at the time it was all I could find. It does make the car much more of a pleasure to drive especially with radial tires on it. My Z still has the factory exhaust manifolds on it, but as the previous poster said you just need to add a small spacer between the PS bracket & the header to close up the gap.

IMHO I don't feel like it will effect the value at all adding the power steering. PS was an option on Z/28"s & If I were ever to sell the car, the original manual box will be included..

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 14, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Thanks for answering. X77 that story sounds like me only mine never came with it. I have seen kits at Herbeat City and Camaro Central in the $800.00 dollar range. I am sure they are not orignial but do niot have the cash to track down any original parts. $800 for a pulley! wow. Another reason I want to change it is my manual steering box seems to have too much play. While I am there I may as well rebulid the entire front end. The car seems to ride a bit low. I will need replacement springs but that for another post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode