Subframe alignment - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Subframe alignment

I did a few searches and can't find anything on lining up the subframe with the alignment holes.

I just re installed my subframe and want to be sure I get in place correctly. Any help would be great.

Hatya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver

327 9.6:1, Performer RPM Heads, 200R4, 3rd Gen P/S Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 04:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Re: Subframe alignment

When you do a search you will find many Threads devoted to this. Several will include measurement diagrams. I just installed a sub-frame last week. As I installed it, I used 5/8" bolts to line it up with alignment pin holes in the body. Then, as everyone seems to recommend, I checked the alignment using the measurements from the diagrams found in one of those threads. I did it using carpenter plumb bobs. My measurements came within a 1/16th of an inch with the bolts still fitting in the pin holes so I called it good and tightened down the sub-frame bolts. The biggest trick to using the plumb bobs is hanging them from the center of the reference holes. I temporarily removed the alignment pins (the bolts I discussed above) and used paper clips inserted into the holes. I straightened the paper clips then bent them in half and bent out "wings" that would hold the paper clips in the holes. I then centered the paper clip with the plumb bob hanging in the middle of the holes. Probably not as good as a Tram Gauge but it all seemed pretty good. Check out my thread "68 Z-28 Restoration" in the Build Projects forum. I put in a couple of photos. That's how I did it but as I said there are many threads on this topic so someone may have a better way. The Tram Gauge would be best but I am trying to watch my budget.

68 Z-28 Silver No Stripes (Color Delete) 350
/M21/12-bolt Non-#s Matching - Current Project
69 Z-28 Silver/Black Stripes Deluxe Houndstooth 302/M21/12-bolt #s Matching Survivor - Sold
67 Capri Creme 350/Th400/10-bolt - Sold
68 RS Red Deluxe Houndstooth 350/TH350/10-bolt - Sold
67 SS/RS Butternut Yellow 350/TH350/12-bolt - Sold
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 05:01 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

2 holes in subframe at firewall body mounts were/are used to align (one per side)... I think they are .629" ???

Attachment 58233
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	58241  

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

Last edited by DOUG G; Jan 7th, 14 at 05:13 PM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I rem when /I was trying to align mine for the 1st time 30 odd years go....got totally messed uop in the head with leverage and science.
Then one nigh down the local hHot Rod Club was talking to one ofd the guys who had just finished a very nice '56.....who did the same as I.
He hot a bit of square note pad... then placed a match box on the pad.. and marked where the mounting bolts where.....
With this in front of me...knowing where the 'fixed' tight mounts where and the ones loosened off, /I could see which way to lever the chassis against the body to get it square....
For square have the diff mounted in the car...and take measurements from the bottom pin of the springs between the U bolts (or bottom of a U bolt) diagonally to a fixed piont on the chassis up front.... both of these diagonals need to be the same +/- 5mm... I got mine to 3mm.
Any 'error from there is taken up in the final wheel alignment.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 14, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thx guys, I promise i did search but didn't get the right results. I can see this giving me a headache.

Hatya

Daily Driver

327 9.6:1, Performer RPM Heads, 200R4, 3rd Gen P/S Box
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 14, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

It's two sets of holes ahead of the middle body mounts.

Loosen the four body mounts, jam a tire iron through one set of holes, square it up and tighten that side. Do the same for the other side.

Go get an alignment.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 14, 05:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I agree more with Charlie. It is not as easy as just putting a tire iron or even dowels. Both holes are not the same. The holes are just to get you close to where you need to be. I just did one last week and with all the lines I pulled it took two hours to do. Took a long time, but dead on and will not crab down the road. Go to you tube and look up scared shiftless , he does one with everything attached and makes it look easy. He also shows how to install glass for dummies.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 14, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Perhaps people are making it harder than it has to be. Take diagonal measurements from fixed points, divide the difference by two and adjust it. Done. It's not a difficult or time consuming task.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 14, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Yep it is like Scott says....which works well when one does it each day and has it clear in there head the triangulation.....if not do as I suggest.. a match box , work out which way things need to be levered to get the result 1st....then once u have that clear in your head
do it.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 14, 07:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

If I recall correctly I dropped 6 plumb bobs on mine. two on rear axle, two near rear of sub and two at ball joints. When the diagonals were off I measured straight, moved short side forward, rechecked diagonals. DONE!

Jeff
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 14, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
two at ball joints
that rings a bell .. ?I think from memory it was those diagonals that confused me... because these points can be/ moved with wheel alignment shims later on.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 14, 12:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

scared shiftless link...

Scott

5.3L LM7, Carb conversion, TKO 5 speed
It's gonna run this year!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 14, 01:05 PM
Team Member
Jerry

It would have been nice to see him make the adjustments along with his explanations. Thanks for sharing

69 SS/RS
565 BBC
Tremic 6 speed
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 14, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
that rings a bell .. ?I think from memory it was those diagonals that confused me... because these points can be/ moved with wheel alignment shims later on.
Lower A-trays don't use shims.

Square up a subframe, yank a car on a frame machine, layout concrete forms and erect building walls. Same alignment principles.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 14, 03:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The one I was installing a chassisworks frame, and it was questionable on if it was true. Not the biggest chassisworks fan after installing the kit.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode