quick ratio change over - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
tony

quick ratio change over

A quick question on steering, On my 69 camaro I am going to replace my power steering gear box with a "quick ratio" style. I now have a 5-1/4" pitman arm that is original. The steering box is not. Will the steering be much improved with the new box and that arm or do I need to install the longer arm?
This is just a summer driver,no road course or racing. I do not know what the box is now as I bought it years ago and the steering is very soft. My mistake years ago when I did race it I pulled the power out for manual and sold it. Dumb mistake,never thinking I would someday drive this car again. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 06:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

Re: quick ratio change over

The steering box will work with the old pitman arm, though in order to accomplish the quick ratio aspect changing the arm would be ideal. I will be changing my manual steering over in the next couple months and am changing all to incorporate the quick ratio steering setup.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 08:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Think of it this way, for the same amount of input at the wheel, the longer pitman has to swing a longer arc. That results in more movement of the center link, tie rods etc. I left the shorter arm with my faster steering box and think it feels plenty fast. You could try the short arm first and then experiment with the longer to see which you like better.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 08:43 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Make sure you change both the pitman arm and the idler arm so they both are the same matched length.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

I changed out my manual box with a quick ratio power box years ago and used the long pitmon arm. I had to buy another pitmon arm anyway since the output shaft on the manual box is smaller than on the power box. In hind sight, the short arm would have probably worked better as my steering is on the verge of being too quick. I'd try the short arm first since you already have it and see how you like it.

Jim's '69

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Make sure you change both the pitman arm and the idler arm so they both are the same matched length.
These do not need to be same length...I was having a problem sourcing a same length idler or pitman... long time ago ...and posted did some research....consulted experts here.
Not sure if at this moment mine are still different lengths as since the mileage I put up these have been swapped out several times over the years.

When changing idlers/ pitmans lengths check for sump clearance

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
tony

thank you all. One other question, a good place to buy it? there are a lot of them, two at top of page, ground up and Buy auto parts. On the buy auto parts site it shows a box but does not say if it is a quick ratio or standard box, maybe if the price is too good,it probably isn't the right one??? prices vary from $150 to $350.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

Check out the following link.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/search...archid=9342073

You'll see that there are lots of post concerning the swap.

This should give you every thing that you need to know about the conversion. The 3rd gen box can be bought at any parts house. Go to lee-powersteering.com (Lee Manufacturing) for the sae to metric adaptors/hoses. I sure that they are probably available elsewhere as well. They can sell you the gear too but they are probably a bit pricey.

Jim's '69

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

I did a bit of looking on the Rock Auto site and I think that the Cardone steering gear box number that you want is 27-6550. It appears that it is for the Z28s and Camaros with FE2 sport/ firm suspension handling package. Maybe someone else will chime in with more knowledge.

Jim's '69

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 14, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Kumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L65-4spd View Post
I did a bit of looking on the Rock Auto site and I think that the Cardone steering gear box number that you want is 27-6550. It appears that it is for the Z28s and Camaros with FE2 sport/ firm suspension handling package. Maybe someone else will chime in with more knowledge.
that is correct, as I'm in the process of gathering parts now and just spoke with Lee's yesterday-

27-6550 steering box (approx. $120 from advance auto.com)
lee steering adapters and coupler (approx. $78 shipped from them)
------------------------------------------------------

under $200 total

that's it.....that is if you already have power steering, other wise you'll need a power steering pump, brackets and hoses

1969 RS/SS, rust free X-11 car, ZZ430 GMPP Crate Engine, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed Hurst Driveline conversion, Moser 12 bolt/3:73 posi
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 14, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
tony

again, thanks for all the help. I am going to go with the cardone box with the lee steering adapters. I can get the box from NAPA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode