Where can I find a brake warning switch? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill
Where can I find a brake warning switch?

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to find a brake pressure switch (like the ones that come in the repro distribution blocks) but can't find just the switch anywhere. Has anyone had luck with finding one of these?

Thanks,

Bill

67 Yenko Tribute - 427/4SPD/Bolero Red
2010 2SS/RS Camaro - Victory Red with White Rally Stripes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 09:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Talking Re: Where can I find a brake switch?

Ford used them in every vehicle from the late 50's thru the 70's - so go into your local NAPA/whatever store and saunder up to the counter and very boldly ask for a brake light switch for a 1965 Ford ( ) F-100 - I know it's a Ford part and they might think less of you for asking, but it's a risk you'll need to take to get one of these ...

You'll hopefully get something that looks like this
Click image for larger version

Name:	thCAQP8YE5.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	60793

The old Wells number was F4805 - but don't know if they have and interchange for it ...

Wire a 'hot' (always 12vdc) lead to one side and the other side to the brake light circuit - job done.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Re: Where can I find a brake switch?

I'm actually looking for the single pronged one for a project that I am working on (I can't tell you what it is) and the AAW Classic Upgrade wiring kit wants a single pronged ground-type switch. My 'Project' has a 2 pronged so I thought I could go with the original Camaro style (AAW suggested the same).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 09:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Where can I find a brake switch?

So you're basically looking for a self-grounding normally open 'Hobbs' switch, would work the opposite of how a normal oil pressure unit works ...
They were used as the brake light switch for some odd vehicles during the 60's - Jeeps () IIRC used such a switch.
I've worked on vehicles back into the 30's that also used pressure switches on the brake line(s) to activate the lights - nothing new here.
Problem is relying on the brake plumbing as a ground in most of these - works great new, but as things rust ...

Is there any reason you could wire one side to a known ground and then the item/circuit needed 'grounded' to the other lug?

These switches were used by lots of OEM stuff for different applications - GM used two different functioning Hobbs units in the Turbo Regals to monitor and control the engine functions both on and off boost. While these are not common parts (in both known or available terms), they are very reliable.
There are also plenty of Hobbs type switches used in industrial applications that may also work - just check a Honeywell or other suppliers catalog for applications.
You're local 'Industrial Controls' dealer might have just what you're looking for.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 04:47 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Bill are you looking for this?

http://www.oldsobsolete.com

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 05:28 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Bill, I have an original single spade from a 67 or 68 Camaro. The outer "shell" has been glass beaded also. I can send you a picture if you want. Here's my email [email protected] Jim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Bill are you looking for this?

http://www.oldsobsolete.com
YES YES YES - Where can I find that thing? I checked all the sites I know, ebay, etc... Any idea?

Correction - I see the website but what did you search under? (I'm wading through as I type)

CORRECTION - GOT IT! Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 08:16 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

cool

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 14, 11:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Red face Re: Where can I find a brake switch?

So this is for the pressure differential system in the distribution block wiring vs. lighting the brake lights ... missed that in first post

CPP carries the metal OEM type - http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ngs/PR102A.htm

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Last edited by Vintage 68; Jan 27th, 14 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode