Measuring axle offset for new disc brakes?` - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Measuring axle offset for new disc brakes?`

Hello all,

So I have a few questions/concerns about my rear 12 bolt axle offset on my 67 camaro. I have all the drums and backing plates off and slid an axle back in to measure for the axle offset.

Question #1: After I slide the axle in and secure the c-clip I slide the able back out until it stops to measure my axle offset correct? When I do this I am seeing just over 3" off axle offset. Which leads to question.

Question #2: My camaro has 2 different axles that look nothing alike. The axle reading over 3" has a much thicker axle flange then the other axle. Should I just order 2 new axles and be done with or what.

I can email or text pics if needed.

Thanks Erik

67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 06:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Re: Measuring axle offset for new disc brakes?`

I am not following you. Post some pics.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So I just swapped the axles from side to side and I am getting 2 7/8" offset on both sides with a tape. I will get a better tool to get an accurate measurement later today. Also my axles measure differently from axle flange to end of axle my almost a 1/4". When I swapped axle sides I could not get the clip on one axle which tells me the axle was cut for only one side of the housing correct?

This is crazy, should I just look for stock replacement axles or order up a new set from Mosier so there both the same?

Thanks, Erik

67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 07:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

One of those is a most likely a replacement axle. The Moser ones have a thicker flange and longer splines than stock. If it were me, I'd replace them both since they are already out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What doesn't make sense to me is I just swapped the sides they were in and my offsets changed and the shorter axle I could not get the c-clip in that side, but I could on the original side I pulled it out from.

Are 12 bolt housing the same length on both sides or no?

Thanks, Erik

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 07:54 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Does one axle tube measure longer than the other?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just took all the measurements I could and this is how the car was before I tore it apart.

Housing end flanges to center section is 18.25" on both sides.

Driver side axle is 29 9/16" long and the axle flange/hub is .330" thick. The axle offset is 2.86".

Passenger side axle is 29 11/16" long and the axle flange/hub is .458" thick. The axle offset is 2.86".

If I was to pull the axles and just flip sides the drivers side axle offset goes to over 3" and the passenger side axle off set I can't measure because I can't get the c-clip in.

The housing numbers are correct for a 68 Camaro and all seems original. I measured the axle tube length off of my buddys 68 Z28 rear he just restored and has on a stand. His measured 18.25" housing flange to center section as well. His axle flange/hub measures 5/16" thick.

If I was to order a set of Moser axles they would come in at 29.5" long and that is shorter than what I have currently. There would be now way I could install the c-clip on the one side for sure unless the machining of the axle is different then right.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Erik

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 01:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Not sure what is going on with your particular situation.

I believe the 64-67 Chevelle and 67-69 Camaro axle shafts should all be the same length. Listed size seems to depend on brand. Some say 29 5/8, some say 29 9/16, or even some have 29.56 listed.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
CRG -
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

And you have two threads going on these issues?

CRG -
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

No, the other thread was spline count and that was fixed. Error on my part.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 14, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Is there a groove worn in the axle from the bearing?
This could be why the axle does not slid in enough to set the C-clip.

Install axles, install C-clip, then install differential pinion shaft.
Now measure total shaft movement, should be less then 1/8 inch.
The axle should not slide in enough for the C-clip to drop out.
The C-clip should be sliding on the axle gear into the slot.
Then install the spider shaft and axle should slide in half the clip thickness.

This has been my learning experience with both 10-bolt and 12-bolt.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 14, 07:24 AM
Tech Team
Lars

Hi There!

Something tells me that your limited slip clutches are worn out!

When you have the c-clip on the axles and the crosspin is installed, Press the axle inwards agains the Crosspin, and take the meassurements.

If your axles have excessive endplay, that will indicate wornout clutches!

The crosshaft from memory is 0,811" and each axle is 29,50" Drumface is something like 0,100" each

this will give you 60" total width.

Check the endplay!!!

LarsPerformance
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 14, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just ran into Jegs store and they had a set of Moser axles in stock for a 12 bolt cairo so I grabbed them to see how they fit. I have a feeling this all has to do with mismatched axles. The rear in the car has been completely restored and everything looks brand new inside. I will throw these axles in and see if the c-clips can be installed. If not then I have something wrong with either the ring and pinion being moved inside the center section or something funky.

There should be know reason an axle fits in one side and not the other if they call for the same length axles.

On a side not, how far in the end of the housing should the bearings be? I am wondering if the machined taper on the back side of the axle flange is different per axle since they are mis matched axles anyways.

Thanks, Erik

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 14, 10:50 AM
Tech Team

sounds like someone put a truck posi in car housing.if that's true it will have a slight offset.
look at the posi unit and if it has 32212 cast it is a truck posi. if it's a car it will have 088 2 series 140 3series or 174 4 series .
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 14, 11:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

I agree, sounds like it could be a truck posi. Weaker case than a car posi. Check the numbers on the case or post some pics.

CRG -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode