Anybody Using SPC Control Arms - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Anybody Using SPC Control Arms

I recently purchased a set of tubular control arms from SPC. It was suggested that I upgrade to a 550# front coil spring. Don't know diddly about springs and what to look for. I can research 1969 camaro front coil springs but these are after markets arms not stock. Also, everything wants to lower the front end. The new arms will lower the car enough. I could really use some help finding front coil springs. Please -- Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 14, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Anybody Using SPC Control Arms

Did you get both lowers and uppers then (just uppers do not affect ride height)? If you got the lowers you can use their ride height tuning kit and raise it back, up to 2". I'm using Eibach sport springs with mine (1" drop only). They're progressive and work well with the setup, don't know the rate though. The lowers arms also come with poly isolators that result in a small height increase if used. I have only the isolator in one lower and used I think one or two of the small plate spacers from the ride height tuning kit to get the front end perfectly level. I'd suggest getting the kit just for that as if you wind up not needing it you can always send it back.

Oh, and I can't remember but back when I bought mine the lowers might've been advertised with 2" built in drop I think but actually only have 1" according to the brochure that came with them. That's really why I bought the ride height tuning kit also because I was afraid of having a 3" drop. I'll email Eibach and ask about their spring rate but as you can see you can probably use a 2" drop spring and then get most of the drop taken out.

Here is how mine sits with the above front stuff and Global West L16 1.5" drop springs in the back.

For comparison, here are the same Eibach 1" drop springs when they were in my other car with the same wheels and an other wise factory type suspension setup.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 14, 12:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Very nice Steiner! Nice explanation too.
I only have the uppers. And I like them.

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 14, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Thanks steiner, beautiful car. I printed your info and could really use some more info as far as what to look for on eibachs web site to find your springs. Hate to copy but i absolutely have nothing else to go by. I did buy the spc uppers and lowers and can't believe how hard a time i'm having trying to find the right springs. Spc claims their arms will lower the front by one inch. So i will get the kit to raise it back up. Appreciate all the help- bill
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 14, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBS6T8 View Post
Very nice Steiner! Nice explanation too.
I only have the uppers. And I like them.
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy69 View Post
Thanks steiner, beautiful car. I printed your info and could really use some more info as far as what to look for on eibachs web site to find your springs. Hate to copy but i absolutely have nothing else to go by. I did buy the spc uppers and lowers and can't believe how hard a time i'm having trying to find the right springs. Spc claims their arms will lower the front by one inch. So i will get the kit to raise it back up. Appreciate all the help- bill
Thank you. I checked and you actually have to call Eibach for info. In the past, their spring part numbers indicated all the specs but I think they've changed that over the past few years...I do know these are spec'ed for small block only. They are part 3848-120 and available everywhere like Summit, Jegs, etc.

As for what works best for what you want, I would leave that up to Mark at SC&C. I don't know if he's got experience with the Eibachs but they work good for me as my car is street driven (hard when I can) and I also do some spirited mountain driving.

As mentioned, the Eibachs are progressive rate and the Hotchkis are likely linear rate. Here's an explanation of the difference:
http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/suspension-springs.html

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 14, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bill

Thanks, will give mark another try. He's been hard to get of hold of this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode