69 Z-28 vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 14, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Ron

69 Z-28 vibration

Hello every one, I am new, please bear with me, I have read all the blogs and Q and As about Camaro vibration, I have a good one, at 70 mph, the vibration comes and goes like the seconds on your watch, worse at a higher speed, tried every thing, new wheels, radial tires, trued the tires and rebalanced on car, rotors, axels, drums, exhaust, engine is fine, at 75mph, throw it into neutral and engines idles, vib still there, touch the brakes, still there, tried new aluminum drive shaft, new joints, new trans tail shaft bushing, new yoke and joints, new poly trans mount, 4 degree shims in axel to pick up pinion, so I borrowed a old drive shaft that the yokes are out of tune by 30 degrees, used my new yoke and joints, better, still has slight vib, trans cross member has off set bolt holes for trans mount and not sure if the trans is facing straight down tunnel, angle and pinion is down one, shaft is down one,any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 14, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 69 Z-28 vibration

Welcome, Ron Glad you joined.
Comes and goes, driveshaft harmonics.
Look at the driveshaft angels, both horizontally and vertically, and should be within 1°.
Looking at the side of the Camaro, the at trans, d/shaft is down in ref to trans, opposite of rear axle to d/shaft, up in ref to r/axle.
Same goes when looking from the top down, both angles should be the same.

You may need a smaller outer diameter thicker wall driveshaft.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 14, 05:49 PM
Tech Team
chris

I had a bad engine mount that I believe was causing vibrations around 60-65 mph. I found it when I was taking the motor out of the car. Vibration issues can be aggravating to isolate. Good luck!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 14, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Do you have enough end play on the shaft? some times if the shaft is too long will do that also. Try to see if you have the vibration on the hoist with the rear wheels hanging, then try it on jack stands. if its better on the hoist try running more - angle, if worse go the other way. it does sounds like a angel problem, have you actually measured the angles and what are they? you want to have btwn 1* to 21/2* - angel.
The relation ship btwn the front and rear should be within .5*. I hope this helps you

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 14, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

You mentioned offset bolt holes on the trans cross member. Big block or small block?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 14, 04:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
tom

is it a manual trans if so what clutch are you using

thanks tom
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 14, 06:33 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Does this car have an overdrive transmission? By definition the driveshaft spins faster than the engine which exacerbates driveline issues. A new trued and balanced driveshaft would be on my list. Especially since you said changing to a driveshaft with issues improved your car.

44 Willys MB
52 M38A1
64 Corvette Coupe
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & T56 (project)
69 Z/28 clone 355 12.6's @110
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
72 240Z-2.9l L6, triple Del'Lortos, T5, 12mm R200 LSD
85 FJ1100 & 01 XR400
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Went thru the same problem with mine, had a harmonic vib at 1500rpm and a car shaking vib above 2000rpm, ran out of parts to change, even bought a new driveshaft which didn't help. Bought another new driveshaft from Denny's, they balanced the entire shaft with u-joints and slip yoke installed and spin them up to 10,000 rpm, problem solved! Nothing worse than trying to diagnose something with new parts installed, just because they are new doesn't mean they are good...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I had a similar vibration on two of my 69 Zs. The first one turned out to be a tire out of round, yes out of round. I don't know how they found it but I actually had two of them like that. One of the things I found was that they should have been marked as blemished. One of the factors to make a blemished tire is out of round.
The second one was one of the lugs on the transmission was cracked. The trans was being held on by 3 bolts. When the took the 4th bolt off the lug fell off. I am not sure how they fixed that, because it was sold to a new owner by then. He told me about it. I had never had the trans off so I didn't even know about it. I am pretty sure he replaced the casing on the trans.
I had gone through the drive shaft thing and never was able to cure it. So it can be many things. Keep digging. I know it is frustrating.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 14, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech

Here's a 10 page pdf file that deals with places to look and things to do about vibration.

http://csgbenefits.org/camarovibration.pdf

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode