Another front spring question - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 14, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Another front spring question

I have spent a couple of hours trying to decide which front springs I need.

I am rebuilding the front suspension and want to replace the front coils while it's down. The car is a 68, 327 with intact factory air, was a factory auto car but has been converted to 4 speed.

I'd like to end up with a slightly firmer spring and near stock ride height.

I have searched these forums and read Pozzi's website and still don't have the answer. I looked at the thread where people were reporting their combinations, but didn't see any with stock subframe, stock control arms, AC, etc………I do plan to upgrade to 17" wheels and wider tires, but I'm not sure of sizes yet (could use some advide there too).

From what I can tell, I need something like a Moog 6308 or 6320 spring, but which one??

The Moog website is no help……same for the online parts places…….hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 02:03 AM
David Pozzi

Re: Another front spring question

I had 6308's on our 68 w factory air & it was nice. But we didn't have the compressor, condenser, or hoses. It did have the firewall "suitcase" & under-dash ducts/heater. We had stock A arms. Use of tubular A arms is going to affect height unpredictably.

Here it has 6308's with Hotchkis 1.5" drop leafs. We later added 1" lowering blocks.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; Feb 16th, 14 at 06:55 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 04:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Here's a pic showing the stance of my 68 with a 327, no air, Richmond 5 speed, Hotchkis 1907F 2" drop front coil springs, and Hotchkis 1.5" drop rear leaf springs. Stock A-arms up front, urethane body mount bushings (Energy Suspension).

The wheels are 15 by 7 from a late 70s Chevy Caprice and all four tires are 215-70-15.

Last edited by Frank350; Mar 26th, 14 at 02:53 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

David

Thanks for the response.

I read about your combination but didn't know how much the weight of the AC compressor and condenser would change the situation??

Would the extra weight of the AC components be enough to make you move up to 6320 springs?

Assuming tires of similar diameter, would upgrading to wider 17" tires and wheels make a difference in your choice of springs? If so, where would the upgraded tires/wheels lead you??

I want to get this right the first time and I appreciate your advice.

Thanks, Mark
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 06:50 PM
David Pozzi

The 6308's are probably the best option. I think the compressor and condenser add around 40 lbs, and that would drop the front only .2" over what my 68 was.
If it came out too low for you, Global West sells metal shims you can slip under your coil springs.
Your camaro can ride nicely and handle well ( balanced oversteer/understeer) with this combo, but the front coils are too soft for serious autocrossing or driving to the max at the point of wheel lock up. I was pretty happy with the stock multi leaf springs originally on this car because it was a cruiser and didn't have much horsepower, plus auto tranny. We started with Hellwig sway bars front and rear with 6308's front, and stock multi leaf rear. Koni Shocks set fairly soft.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; Feb 16th, 14 at 07:02 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 14, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

We will have Front Springs Soon!

T.C.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Thanks again David!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode