Speed Tech or Detroit Speed - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Jostein

Speed Tech or Detroit Speed

Going to rebuild my suspension, and cant decide what to go for. I kind of like Detroit Speed and their caster adjustment, but then again they re over 100$ more then Speed Tech. I am (think) going to stick with stock lower for now with new delrin bushings. This is on a 69 by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Speed Tech or Detroit Speed

http://scandc.com/new/node/24

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 07:40 AM
John

Garage

Why do you feel a need for more caster? You can do a great job with bushings and maybe something like the global west cross arms.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Jostein

I am afraid them will get me in trouble with the Norwegian Road Authority.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Jostein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Why do you feel a need for more caster? You can do a great job with bushings and maybe something like the global west cross arms.
I am not sure if I want more or less caster. I guess both arms will improve cambergain alot, but Speed Tech has built in 4degrees caster, Detroit Speed has inserts that can be changed to adjust caster. That is one of the things I ws hoping to get some oppinions on in this thread. Car will be used 98% on street/cruising and maybe a trip to the trac once/twice a year.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 11:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianC10 View Post
I am not sure if I want more or less caster. I guess both arms will improve cambergain alot, but Speed Tech has built in 4degrees caster, Detroit Speed has inserts that can be changed to adjust caster. That is one of the things I ws hoping to get some oppinions on in this thread. Car will be used 98% on street/cruising and maybe a trip to the trac once/twice a year.
Neither arm will do anything for camber gain. For camber gain you need G mod, tall upper ball joint or tall spindle.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Jostein

am going to use a tall spindle. I didnt think you should do the G mod with the tubular controll arms. I am not going to build a race car, just want to get a more up to date suspension.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
am going to use a tall spindle. I didnt think you should do the G mod with the tubular controll arms. I am not going to build a race car, just want to get a more up to date suspension.
Lots of folks do the G Mod with tubular arms. You generally don't want to do more than one of the G mod, tall ball joint and tall spindles, but any of them can be done with tubular arms.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Jostein

My plan is to use the CPP C5 front brakes with their tall spindle. As I was asking in my first post, is there a big difference in quality, wheel clearence or anything else that tell my which one I should buy?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 03:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I have the Speed Tech arms with a tall upper ball joint. Very nice quality. I think all the big name brands are well made, I haven't heard any complaints yet.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 03:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

FWIW, SpeedTech does sell a high clearance UCA if you're looking to stuff a big tire up front.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Jostein

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
FWIW, SpeedTech does sell a high clearance UCA if you're looking to stuff a big tire up front.
Nothing extreme, either 235/255 or 245/275 on 18s. Roads around where I live are not very good
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Nothing extreme, either 235/255 or 245/275 on 18s. Roads around where I live are not very good
I have 245/40/18's on the front of mine but my backspacing was off by .25" on the front rim. Luckily the SpeedTech LCA's have a built in steering stop to keep me from scrubbing on the subframe. 275/40/18's in the rear.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 04:12 PM

I don't believe anyone mentioned it yet, but you may want to look into ridetech. They make a really nice setup, all very high quality at great prices. Try matt's classic bowtie's for the lowest price.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 05:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Jostein, What are your plans for you car? driver, auto cross, drag or a mixture of them?

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode