Adding a 1" lowering block with pinion angle shim - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

Adding a 1" lowering block with pinion angle shim

I have Hotchkis 1.5 lowering leafs on my 67 and I'm running a Moser rear with a 4 deg. pinion shim. I wanted to lower the car another inch so I installed some 1 inch blocks along with the 4 deg. pinion shim and wanted to know what you guys think and your opinion. I want to make sure it is safe. I wish I could find a 1 inch block with a 4 degree angle all in one. I went to the spring shop they wanted $310.00 to de arch so I though I would give this set up a try what do you think? I added a 4 deg. shim on the bottom of the spring shock plate just to keep it flat.

1967 camaro LS3 TKO 5 speed A.C. delux Int.

Last edited by chucky 67; Jun 25th, 14 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Adding a 1" lowering block with pinion angle shim

If the aluminum is good quality stuff it'll probably be ok. I made some 1/2" lowering blocks out of "hardware store" aluminum plate and they broke. A buddy of mine works at a spring shop and he made me a set out of 1/2" leaf spring steel - those'll never break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 06:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Deleted because it is not relevant to original posters question.

Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5.3L LM7, Carb conversion, TKO 5 speed
It's gonna run this year!

Last edited by sdphilips; Feb 22nd, 14 at 06:23 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 06:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Its hard to see but he has one on top. The one on the bottom is turned the opposite way to make it even.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

Yes there good quality Afco Racing blocks. There is one on top that is giving me the pinion angle I need and the lower one is in the opposite direction just to make the lower plate even with the spring perch.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Mine is similar to yours, but instead of angle shims I have a lowering block on top of the spring and a steel spacer below it.

The centering pin in the leaf spring is really just a grade 8 3/8-24 bolt with a goofy head on it. I removed that pin (bolt) and replaced it with one long enough to bolt the lowering block and the spacer to the spring. Lessens the possibility of all of those different parts moving around.

PS I think I found those two washers you've been looking for...

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 08:46 PM
Tech Team
Craig

A friend had a similar situation and he measured the space between the perch and the bottom plate and used either steel or aluminum square stock with holes drilled for the u bolts for each side. This tighten everything up and allowed him the properly torque the u-bolt nuts.

I have a similar setup Moser with Cal Tracks. My rear lower shock contacts the Cal track mount. Are you running a spacer between the lower shock eye and the mounting plate or are you using the 68 lower shock mount assembly?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
A friend had a similar situation and he measured the space between the perch and the bottom plate and used either steel or aluminum square stock with holes drilled for the u bolts for each side. This tighten everything up and allowed him the properly torque the u-bolt nuts.
That's fine if you are using compressible rubber or poly pads - it keeps them from squishing out the sides. If you omit those pads like the OP and I did, it's a bad idea - you want a gap between the bottom of the perch and the top of the shock plate so you are certain that the spring is clamped tightly. The gap can be big or small. Most leaf spring pickup trucks use a flat perch and the gap is the height of the spring stack.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

Thanks guys, I think I will give this set up a try and keep an eye on it, safety first. I have been looking everywhere for those washers.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 14, 03:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

Do you think these would be better for bottom set ?
I have a set if you do .

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...sz3ti6G7O9AOUw

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 14, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

Do those extend past the U bolt? If so I defiantly like them better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode