1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 14, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Baer Brake Install questions

Hey guys -

I am in the process of installing Baer brakes and all four corners and having all sorts of issues. The instructions are very misleading and confusing. The main problem is in the rear. I am using the SS4 kit.

When mounting the caliper to the caliper bracket, the bolts that they supply go through a bushing/sleeve that doesn't allow the caliper to mount solid as the sleeve is too long. It's almost as if the caliper is meant to be a floating style caliper but I have never seen that on a multi-piston set-up. For that matter, the step after mounting the caliper is to shim the caliper to center it perfectly. The bushing is about an 1/8inch of too long so the caliper can slide back and forth making it impossible to shim accurately. I attached pictures to show what I am talking about. Hopefully you can see what I mean and tell me what I am doing wrong.

The second question I have is what is a CSV? Baer calls it a centering stablizer valve but doesn't explain what it's for. Any ideas what it is and/or how the brake lines mount?

I am hoping my questions make sense to those of you have installed/seen a Baer set-up. Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	64849   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	64857  

68 Camaro RS/SS 540/660 4-Speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage
Re: Baer Brake Install questions

I'll take a stab at this, I'm no expert for sure.

The rear calipers do need to float because the axle will move in and out, it's not a solid mount like a front hub or spindle.

That CSV, I think they mean proportioning valve.

Just a guess on the second one.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Liíl Red Express
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Hmm. The axle point makes sense but then why would they have you shim the caliper bracket getting it within 0.005" variance when the caliper itself can slide up to an 1/8" on the sleeves.

Baer is such a high end product that I feel like I am missing something obvious.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Generally speaking, a floating caliper will have piston(s) on only one side of the rotor and a fixed caliper will have piston(s) on both sides. Which are yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

It's a four piston caliper. Two on each side so I assumed the same in that it should be fixed. I did just find a video on YouTube showing an install and they claim it IS a floating caliper and no shimming is required. Super frustrating.

If anybody is reading this and goes with Baer, be warned that the install instructions are terrible. This goes for both the front and rear set ups. PM if you have questions as I think I have gotten around most of them.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 06:23 PM
Team Member

Any updates on this? I am having the same issue today but the loop was never closed on this post.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 06:32 PM
John

Garage

The last post on this thread was 6 years ago.
And the OP hasnít been here for 5 1/2 years.
eville likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 08:22 AM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The last post on this thread was 6 years ago.
And the OP hasnít been here for 5 1/2 years.
Bummer - It's always nice when people close the loop on their questions for future searches.

Since he didn't, I will.

I called Baer. This feature is referred to as their Veri-Slide system to counter the movement of the C-Clip axles. There should be an extra instruction sheet in with the calipers to explain the adjustment to =.020" on each side.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 20, 02:01 AM
David Pozzi

If you don't have Positraction, the axle end play will be fairly high. I would shim behind the C clips to reduce end play. A friend used valve spring shims. A new Positraction unit will be good but as they wear the end play increases. There are shim kits for the Eaton Positraction units available from Summit Racing and others. With the floater calipers you should be OK even if the Positraction is worn a bit.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode