Hotchkis front springs 1907 or 1906 - bb alum heads and fiberglas hood - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Alex

Hotchkis front springs 1907 or 1906 - bb alum heads and fiberglas hood

Hi folks,

once again i need a little advice...

Right now i have a 350 SBC and a fiberglass hood. No AC or other heavy stuff.

I want to lower the front about 2", but not more. Since i also ordered Hotchkis Shocks i have to decide between Hotchkis Springs 1907f (for SBC) and 1906f (for BBC).

But here's the clue - i will swap my 350 for a 496 with aluminium heads next winter. So i was searching for weight differences between SBC and BBC - here's what i found:

SBC iron heads: 575 --> actual combo
BBC iron heads: 685
BBC alum heads: 610 -> combo next winter

So now i have a difference of 45 pounds between my 350 and the future 496.

And here's the thinking: with my carbon fiber hood, the 45 pounds are (almost?) gone.

This brings me to the conclusion that i should buy the SBC springs for the 496, since i assume, that the springs are rated to stock engines (without aluminium heads).

Is that right? I just want to avoid buying new springs and sitting too low after installing the 496.

Thanks in advance!
Alex

68" Camaro RS - one of the few in germany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completely restored with 383 create, TH350, Moser 12 Bolt. Sequoia Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Hotchkis front springs 1907 or 1906 - bb alum heads and fiberglas

Call Hotchkis and ask them !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 05:15 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage
Re: Hotchkis front springs 1907 or 1906 - bb alum heads and fiberglas

I think you nailed. I would be opting for the SBC springs based on what you described. I think Hotchkiss will tell you to use the small block spring with BBC and aluminum heads.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 05:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
I think you nailed. I would be opting for the SBC springs based on what you described. I think Hotchkiss will tell you to use the small block spring with BBC and aluminum heads.
x2. The springs don't care what engine you have, just how much weight you have up front. I'd go with the 1907's.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 14, 08:27 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

I have the 2" drop springs with a aluminum headed bbc. Sits perfect.

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 14, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Alex

Perfect, thanks a lot for your comments.

I did contact Hotchkis and they told me to go with the 1907, but i was looking for some real life experience - so thank you!

I just ordered them and i'm looking forward to install them (not so much the installation, but the result )

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 14, 04:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrekki View Post
I just ordered them and i'm looking forward to install them (not so much the installation, but the result )
Cool. I'd hate to know how much shipping was on those. If I recall, they were like trying to carry a hundred pound wet noodle.

Good luck with the install, post some pics for future reference.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 14, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Alex

Jap, shipping to germany is always a bit of a mess... but i hope this time, i-parcel helps me to keep everything smooth.

Shipping costs? Let's say - without the € being this strong ATM, it would kill me

It will take some time tills it's over here and installed but i'll keep you updated.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 14, 07:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

And if you go just a bit too far (like I did) you can put in a pair of these to bring it back up 1/2 inch. Ad says 3/4 to 1/5 inch, but that's bs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-81-CHEV...28963b&vxp=mtr

Lynn
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 14, 11:42 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrekki View Post
Perfect, thanks a lot for your comments.

I did contact Hotchkis and they told me to go with the 1907, but i was looking for some real life experience - so thank you!

Your welcome!

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I had a SBC motor in my car but wanted a 'level' stance. I called Hotchkis and they told me the only difference was a 1/2inch drop between the springs. The spring rate is identical which is supposed to be 600lbs/in. I ended up with the BB springs. The car has since been converted to a LS and is much lighter in front the stance is higher but it is actually more level and not higher in the front so either way you should only see a 1/2 inch difference between the springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode