Good complete suspension kit? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Good complete suspension kit?

So, I'm in the market for a complete suspension kit for my '69 Camaro SS. I'd like something that is 100% complete meaning it comes with front and rear springs, shocks, tubular upper and lower A-arms, etc.

What I've found so far are the following kits I'm looking at...

http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_19..._p/sus-684.htm

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-s...1967-1969.html

Now the first one is Hotchkis which I know is a reputable brand. It's considerably more expensive than the second kit and for the most part seems to include all of the same parts.

Not sure what brand the second kit is but it looks like a pretty complete kit.

Anyways, the car is not a track car or a race car. It's just a fun weekend driver during the Summer that I would like to improve the handling on so it's more fun to drive. I'm not looking to slam the thing so I don't want to drop it lower than 2". It's sitting on 15 inch Corvette rally wheels that are 15x7 in the front and 15x9 in the rear.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 08:28 AM
Tech Team
Robert

Re: Good complete suspension kit?

The less expensive one is from http://www.classicperform.com/. You will have to get C5(?) brakes for this kit, stock disc will not bolt up.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning69 View Post
The less expensive one is from http://www.classicperform.com/. You will have to get C5(?) brakes for this kit, stock disc will not bolt up.
Ahhh, thanks for the heads up, didn't catch that! Does that kit require the use of the C5 spindles or can you utilize your stock ones for the time being?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Okay damn... Now I'm checking out this...

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...uring-Kits.htm

With their stage IV pro touring kit you get twice as much as you do with the Hotchkis kit including full discs all around. It's less money as well!

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 09:20 AM
Tech Team
Robert

Yes, but you have to read the descriptions carefully. The pro-Touring kits do not come with spindles. Also, the discs in the stage IV kit would be too large for your wheels, I have been looking into the same for my 69 Camaro, it can be quite confusing since there are so many companies supplying these parts.

One more thing to think about, if you are lowering your car, choose lowering springs or coil overs instead of a lowering spindle. The spindle causes tire rubbing suspension part issues. I haven't bought anything yet but have been doing a lot of research.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunning69 View Post
yes, but you have to read the descriptions carefully. The pro-touring kits do not come with spindles. Also, the discs in the stage iv kit would be too large for your wheels, i have been looking into the same for my 69 camaro, it can be quite confusing since there are so many companies supplying these parts.

One more thing to think about, if you are lowering your car, choose lowering springs or coil overs instead of a lowering spindle. The spindle causes tire rubbing suspension part issues. I haven't bought anything yet but have been doing a lot of research.
x2!

My build pics:

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 09:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

That first link looks like CPP. I would go with the Hotchkis package over the CPP stuff any day of the week.

------
***Edit***

Sorry, I didn't read the other posts. That is CPP.

post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Okay thanks for bringing all this information to light. I wasn't aware about the kit not including the spindles and that the brakes wouldn't fit. I guess I am going to have to do a lot more research but at this point the Stage II Hotchkis might be my best best since it avoids the brakes for the time being. I can always tackle brakes later down the road.

I've never owned Hotchkis stuff before but from what I have heard they are quite reputable.

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 10:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
Okay thanks for bringing all this information to light. I wasn't aware about the kit not including the spindles and that the brakes wouldn't fit. I guess I am going to have to do a lot more research but at this point the Stage II Hotchkis might be my best best since it avoids the brakes for the time being. I can always tackle brakes later down the road.

I've never owned Hotchkis stuff before but from what I have heard they are quite reputable.
Yes, Hotchkis makes great stuff. Other good names are Global West, SpeedTech, RideTech. Decide whether you want/need everything in a kit first, or if there are better deals to be had by piecing it together.

post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 10:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post

You may want to do a lot more research. Why do you want tubular UCAs and LCAs? They're expensive and do very little for performance. In fact, nothing in either setup corrects the camber curve.

Do you know you'll need a rear sway bar? "Heavy duty" tie rod sleeves look good but, again, do little for performance.

As with any planned modification, you might consider starting out with what you want to accomplish with the car, and then research how that can be done. What things look like is certainly a valid criteria, after all it's your car, but you've asked questions that seem to indicate your budget isn't unlimited.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I just kinda pieced mine together. Started with 17 x 8 and 17 x 9.5 rims and good performance tires. Then added the Hotchkis front and rear springs and front bar. Next I bought the SC&C stage 2 plus kit, which included SPC UCAs, Howe X-tall upper balljoints and tall outer tie rod ends. Next I added GW Del-a-lum delrin bushings for the stock LCAs. Somewhere in there I did the IROC steering box (dud) and added the Corvette/LS brakes. I'm using stock disc spindles. Last thing on my list is better shocks, looking at the Koni Classics. Only my opinion, but I wouldn't spend a ton on expensive bolt on susp/steering parts and use 15" wheels. Best bang for my buck were the bigger wheels and tires.

And you can go wayyyyy fancier than the basic stuff I did!!

Edit - Forgot - also added Hotchkis frame connectors at some point.

Last edited by BPOS; Mar 14th, 14 at 11:08 AM.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 11:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Only my opinion, but I wouldn't spend a ton on expensive bolt on susp/steering parts and use 15" wheels. Best bang for my buck were the bigger wheels and tires.
I have said the same thing in the past. The single most noticeable performance upgrade was going from 15's to 18's. Well, I suppose the LS swap was pretty noticeable as well...

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Well my budget isn't unlimited. I would like to stay at 5k or under for just the suspension (not including brakes). The car isn't a track car or a drag car, it's just a car that I drive on nice days and probably only put 1000 miles on a year (probably less to be honest).

Anyways, I am looking for good handling because when I find back roads I want the car to at least handle decent trough the twisties. I don't expect it to handle corners like my M3 but it would be nice if it could at least hold it's own. Coilovers seem pointless since I don't see a reason to adjust the ride height. I have had coilovers on numerous other cars in the past and found that once I got them adjusted at the right height I never again adjusted them so it's rather pointless.

Tubular A arms isn't necessary, I just heard it was a decent upgrade but if there's little gains to be had from them on a street car I guess I don't need them, right?

I don't want to be paying for things I don't need obviously. All I am looking for here is a nice suspension setup for a street car. Something that will make the car much more fun to corner with.

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
I have said the same thing in the past. The single most noticeable performance upgrade was going from 15's to 18's. Well, I suppose the LS swap was pretty noticeable as well...
I hear this all the time that upgrading to a bigger wheel from the 15" will make a huge difference. Now I am not totally clueless with cars but when it comes to suspension and wheels/tires I start to get confused. Why is it that a bigger wheel will improve handling so much? I thought that having a 15" wheel with a bigger tire would add more contact surface this improve handling? Clearly I am wrong, I just need it explained to me.

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 02:05 PM
Jostein

A 15" wheel will have alot more sidewall than a 18" with same wheelhight. This leads to flexing in the tire and less roadfeel and traction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode