Frame shop says I need a new subframe - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 01, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I got my 68 towed to the frame shop last week and they have declared that it needs a new subframe. The guy said that the one on it could possibly be fixed, but that would require removing it from the car, and most of the cost is the labor in removing/reinstalling so I might as well put a never-bent one on when doing it.

Does anyone have a subframe for sale or know one around? The guy at the shop said the only one he was able to locate is 100mi away and going for $550. I thought that sounded like way too much (should be more like $250 right?) so I told him I'd find one myself. Love to find one sandblasted and POR-15'ed already of course Should I consider an aftermarket subframe? I'm already going to do the Guldstrand mod (had done it to the one on the car, now I'll get a welder to do it the pretty way). Are there any other benefits to be had from an aftermarket one unless I change the arms and everything?

Someone mentioned the Dec issue of Chevy Rumbler having an article on replacing the subframe without removing the engine. Is that issue still on the stands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 03:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I don't see how you will remove the sub with the engine in. Perhaps others know.

Why does your sub need to be replaced. If the body mount holes are rusted out, they can be repaired easily and cheaply without removal.

You should be able to find another sub for under $200. Of course, they will need detailing.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
take this as an oppurtunity to buy a cool subframe if you can afford it, and have them install that.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

The reason it has to be replaced is because it is bent. I don't know exactly what or how much, but I do know that I couldn't replace all the subframe bushings when I tried because the holes didn't line up. In addition, the right side middle body mount is twisted quite a bit. The guy at the shop said it could be tweaked back, but since the cost of a new one is so low relative to the work involved, may as well put on a new one.

I looked at the Wayne Due subframe -- no way I'm spending that much, nor am I going to throw away all the money and time I just spent on the front end already. (New shocks, springs, sway bar, brakes, POR-15 on the arms, etc).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 02:35 PM

Smile

To change out the s/f w/ the engine/trans still in the car you have to make an engine cradle that fits at the pan when the engine is up about 3" to 4" from the s/f and then use a floor jack to support the trans. You have to have the car up just enough so that the s/f will "slide out" when loosened and dropped. It's a neat trick w/ the correct stuff ta do it with!!

There are now about 4 to 5 modern aftermarket s/f's for our cars so really do your homework and maybe you can find one that fits your budget. As for me, if I had a welder and a smooth concrete floor shop, I would revamp a second gen's s/f into my car!!! I would put both s/f's side by side and get with it.... pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode