sideways braking - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

I have a sec. gen with rear disk from a 80 transam, including the master,booster, and proportioning valve, and the stock front discs. On the back i have a new caliper on the passenger side, on rotor on the driver side isn't in great condiontion, the top is beveled and there isn't as much contact area. When i slam the brakes the rear end pitches to the right, towards the passenger side. On another post someone told me the rear shouldn't lock at all, so that should mean the car shouldn't pitch all right? This condition seems dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 09:17 PM
David Pozzi

Remind me not to ride with YOU! (just kidding)
The rears should only lock AFTER the fronts lock. On a hard stop the fronts might lock slightly with the rears not locking at all.

Testing should be done by coming down firmly and smoothly on the brakes. Ideally the front wheels should start to chirp like they are wanting to lock, with nothing funny happening on the rear.
If you really slam on the brakes like you are doing a stunt, all four wheels might lock.
If the rear brakes lock, the car will want to spin out, and you will be in worse trouble than plowing straight ahead with front wheels locked. The fronts do most of the work and if the rear locks first and you have to let up to keep the car going straight, you are then increasing your stopping distance.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 03-17-2002).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 02, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

My honda doesn't do this, even if I lock the brakes really hard, do you think I should invest in a adjustable proportioning valve and put more on pressure on the front brakes. I will do the test and see what happens

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 02, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I think your problem is that you have a good brake on one side and a bad one on the other. I would recommend that you replace any parts that are bad and then see if you still have the problem.

I was my understanding that the 2nd gen T/A system splits pressure 50 front/50 rear - in other words, no proportioning.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 02, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that would probably be a good idea. What does that mean about the proportioning valve.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 02, 06:13 PM
David Pozzi

2nd gen TA has smaller pistons on the rear calipers to reduce rear braking.
Around 45 percent of the cars weight is on the front wheels, plus whatever transfers forward when braking hard, maybe 200 lbs from that.
So braking "power" would have to be in proportion to that "dynamic weight balance".
But on slippery surfaces there is less braking traction, so less forward weight transfer. The car would need a bit more rear brake to balance under these conditions.
Then add a full load of passengers and luggage... the need for rear brake would go up, but you can't, because the car won't balance when empty...
So, there are compromises in the factory brake system balance to prevent rear lockup in most any weather condition and load configuration.
Plus a safety margin so the rears NEVER lock first, on a production car.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode