steel vs. stainless brake lines - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
m22
Tech Team

I am getting ready to purchase a brake kit and was wondering what everyone's opinion is on steel vs. stainless steel brake lines. Also one piece vs. the two piece for the front to rear line. Any input would be great.

thanks,
m22 [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
If you don't want it to rust, get the stainless. I'd go with the 1 piece front to rear line to avoid a compression fitting in the system. I may be wrong, but our state (PA) doesn't allow compression fittings to be used in brake lines. I got the 1 piece steel line. Kind of a PITA to install it, but it doesn't have any extra fittings.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 06:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I went with steel. I also went with 2 piece because it was impossible to install a one piece with my subframe connectors. I'm using the stock whatever-its-called junction under the driver door that came with some cars as I had one. It looks challenging trying to get a one piece snaked everywhere you need to.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 08:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

rick, so the two piece is connected together right where that prop valve is located?

thanks,
angel

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I have installed both a 1-piece and 2-piece brake line with the subframe installed. It's virtually impossible to install the 1-piece line without bending it up really bad. The 2-piece line was easy to install. I bought a brass junction block from Pep Boys to join the lines together. I agree on the compression fitting thing. I cringe when I see those on brake lines.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech

The Stainless hardline kits that I sell with our brake kits are a 2 piece front to rear! They junction right where the rear clip is on the subframe so its back a little farther than the stock valve. The stainless is the only way to go in my opinion..We sell the steel as well but most people never want them! We just finished installing the kit on our project 67 and it wasn't too bad at all!

Matt [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 06:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

mat,

how much do you sell the ss lines for? i might be interested. plus, you close by.

thanks
angel

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
m22
Tech Team

Angry

Thanks for the info..I think i will probably go with the stainless and for ease of instl, the two piece. It sounds like i will need to buy a "junction fitting". Is this a generic piece or is it make /model specific? thanks again for the info.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I just installed the one piece stainless line from Ricks in a 68 convert.It wasn't that bad.I thought it would be impossible to do without mangling it, But it went pretty smooth

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Angry

Stainless is hard to seal. I like the plain old Zinc plated carbon steel. Probably because I make my own. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 03:18 AM

shoddy_F-body,
I am about to install a complete set of SS, including the one piece. Would you mind giving us some pointers on installing the 1 piece? Hopefully, some details will help some people decide, and me get mine in .

Thanks
Ken
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 12:39 PM

[ 08-04-2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Tire Smoke 69 ]
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 09:12 PM

compression fittings are not DOT approved.
the connector to use is called a double flare union. the brake lines use a double flare which is the metal is folded over itself and flared outward.
i also dont like stainless lines because they are brittle.
the flares can crack, and they are more difficult to bend. but i make my own. also, if they are over tightened, they can leak, and loosening wont help.
two piece lines are fine if you use double flare unions-NOT compression fittings. i had a three piece on mine for a couple years till i bought the pre bent one piece. i couldn't get a long enough line, ran one from the back up, one from the front to rear, and a little 5" line to connect them. it was ugly, but functional and safe.
if i recall, i had to disconnect a subframe bushing to get the one piece in.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech

My SS hardline kits are $125 and they include the coupling for the 2 piece front to rear.

I have them in stock here!

Matt
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 11:05 AM
Guess

Matt, are you working on the web site or something? I can't seem to get anything to come up.
Just curious

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode