Hotchkis front springs, sway bar hitting, and pinion angle! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just rebuilt my front suspension on my sec. gen. It has real stiff springs in the back, polyurethane bushings on the rear shackles rear swaybar, It has subframe connectors, traction bars. On the front i just put new upper/lower ball joints, poly control arm bushings, hothkis big block 2 inch drop springs, 1 1/8 swaybar with polyurethane, seventeen inch wheels all the way around and a fast ratio box. My questions are #1 on the passenger side ever since i lowered the car i noticed that the sway bar is rubbing on the frame rail, does this happen often? I was thinking about grinding a little on the swaybar and frame to make clearance,#2 What is the best setup for pinion angle, my car sits real low in the front and just a little bit higher in the back. #3 are my traction bars making my handling worse? it seems like the rear end wants to break loose very easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Any ideas?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

The swaybar and endlinks should be at a 90* angle when the car is at ride height. Are the end links too long? If so you can cut the sleeves to length and install shorter bolts.

At ride height the pinion should point down 2* relative to the transmission output shaft. Inland Empire Driveline has a good website with pictures to descibe this. Also, so a search in the archives, there's lots of info on this subject.

Can't help with the traction bar.
------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

[This message has been edited by CarlC (edited 02-21-2002).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, actually I had just figured out that same thing about the shaving the sleeves this morning when i took a better look at it, I will go to that website ,thanks, any other ideas about the traction bars?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 07:26 PM
Tech Team

The traction bars shouldn't be effecting you handling the way you are describing unless they are adjustable and you have them too tight. It sounds like a classic understeer/oversteer problem that occurs from having mis-matched front-rear sway bars and/or suspensions. If one end of the car is looser than the other, you will have a change in understeer or oversteer. What size sway bars did you put on the car?

Actually, now that I think about it, curing you front swaybar problem may solve the issue...you are currently not using all of its potential if your endlinks are too long, meaning that the front swaybar isn't really doing it's job.

------------------
1973 Type LT Camaro ...the daily driver

1968 2 door sport coupe...the toy!

1970 Chevelle SS396 (L34)...numbers matching, all original!

American Muscle Cars...as seen in Super Chevy Magazine, THE Camaro/Chevelle/El Camino we do other stuff too!) resto shop in SoCal

The Monday Nite Car Club!...our car club
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 02, 04:19 PM
Team Member
John

What kind of traction bars are you using? If they're the kind that bolt with clamps to the front of the spring or slappers that are set too tight so the bumpers touch the springs, you have just converted your entire rear suspension into a gigantic rear sway bar, and you'll have BIG TIME oversteer. With stiff rear springs and poly bushings, you shouldn't need any rear sway bar at all.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 02-23-2002).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 02, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have the cheap lakewood traction bars, but i cut down the snubber so there is about 3/4 of an inch space between the snubber and the spring. I put shorter end links on the swaybar, it still barely rubs on the frame, but it is better?? I have a 1 1/8 swaybar on the front a the stock either 3/4 or 1 inch swaybar on the back. My handling is actually really good, I was just wondering if it would be better without traction bars. And i could be wrong but I think second gens. benefit from rear swaybars, I think it is first gens. Thad don't need one. Any other ideas.

[This message has been edited by cody (edited 02-24-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode