Spring Compressor - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm doing reserch on my front end rebuild,but I'd like to start by asking about compressing the coils with the proper tool. Where to get a quality tool, I've seen some generic ones, and they don't inspire confidence in the saftey factor. Thanks Brad

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

The kind that come up through the bottom and hold the sring from the center work good. For safety i like to get some bailing wire and wrap it around the coil after its compressed. When you have it out of the car make sure you lay it on its side out of the way. Just make sure you rent or buy a good quality one.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 07:54 PM
David Pozzi

If you do it right, and the engine is still in the car, you don't need a compressor.
With the engine out of the car, you can use a piece of allthread through the shock hole with a big washer or plate on the lower A frame.

Do a search of the archives and see what others have done and used.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech

I agree, you dont need a spring compressor, what I did was used 3 coat hangers and tied up the spring itself, between the coils, this should be your first step. Then after the spring is all tied-up, POP the lower ball joint and the spring comes out easily, and safely... I know it sounds funny, but this is my Half-A$$ method
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 02:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I bought a very nice set of spring compressors from Bob at Mobile Tools ( 502 Bob). It's your body but I think the safety is worth it.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Lightbulb

I borrowed a spring compressor from Autozone. I did not use it to remove the old springs, but it was very helpful on the new spring install.

It was a long threaded rod with hook arms on both ends. It was very easy to use, and all you did was un-screw the rod when the spring was in the car and the pieces came out easily through the shock hole in the lower control arm.

I did take me a couple of tries to position the hook arms correctly inside the spring so that it did not hit the lower control arm, but overall it was pretty straight-forward. The best part was that it cost me nothing to use and there is no time limit on how long you can have it.

------------------
Dave Richard
68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Ive seen a coil spring bounce of a friends head before, its not a fun thing to watch and the medical bills are more than what a spring compressor costs.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 03:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Check out www.harborfreight.com. I bought a set of spring compressors for about $20.00.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 03:17 PM
Banned

Wink

Ditto, racer x,

You beat me to it!!! And go ahead and buy both kinds and just throw them in your Ford (Ooops) tool box so that you will have either if the need ever pop's up again. pdq67

He, He!!! Froidean(sp?) slip, I guess.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 01, 10:58 AM
Senior Tech

69RSGEG - this was one of the most trying proceedures in the entire restoration of my car. I used the spring compressor mentioned above by DaveRichard that is a threaded stud with two arms and each arm has two hooks. It is very heavy duty. Two of the hooks grab one of the top coils of the spring while two hooks grab a lower coil. Please go above your post and click on "search", enter the search words "spring compressor" and go down to a thread entitled "Coil Spring Compressor/Install" dated 8/25/00. I have a long post on there of some of the things I learned by trial and error that I think will really help. The first time I used the compressor, it took hours, the second time was about a 30 minute job. Be safe and good luck! When these springs get loose, they can really go so keep the kids/wife/friends out of the garage.

[This message has been edited by denverRS/SS (edited 12-18-2001).]
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 01, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech

Of all the jobs on my first gens, I hate this one the most...coil spring replacement.

The quad-hook compressor works the best for me, though it ain't a piece of cake, with stock height springs. I've read on the site of others removing/installing CS's without compressing the springs, but I've found it's impossible to get a stock-length spring correctly aligned in it's perch without compressing it. In order to make room for a non-compressed spring, the lwr A-arm is at such a bad angle, it would be difficult, and possibly suicidal to install it.

I recommend a the 4-hook compressor...might save yourself a trip to the dentist.

Let us know how it works out.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 01, 02:27 PM
Banned

Smile

I posted that it was real hot the day I tried doing mine w/ the four hook spring compressor. I got so hot a P.O.'ed that I had to stop. The next day when it was cooler everything worked out right. But it was a hassle lining up the four hooks to get enough bite to compress my 500 pound tall springs OK.

Yes, it gets easier w/ experience. pdq67

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 01, 04:32 PM
David Pozzi

It's very intersting to note my 1967 GM factory manual says to use a floor jack to compress the spring.
They show a 14" long bar shoved throught the lower A frame through the shock hole, sitting on the floor jack pad. This gives more leverage than jacking on the lower ball joint area.
Maybe the spring compressor wasn't invented yet? (not trying to be a smart a$$)
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 12-18-2001).]
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech

David, I saw this too when I was getting ready to put the springs back in. My problem was the engine was out of the car and so there was not enough weight to hold the frame down against the jack lifting up. I always wondered if this procedure would work ok. I also didn't have a big old steel shank just laying around. haha.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
You can see on my web page what we did. Put a chain through the spring, and through the lower control arm, so that if it did in fact pop, it would be somewhat held in place by the lower control arm and the chain. We ended up using some patience, a floor jack, the chain & locking device, and a big pry bar. Put the top part of the spring in place, get the bottom as close as you can, and slowly start jacking, and pry the spring from underneath the spring (works best with 2 people), with the pry bar tip in the hole of the lower control arm. Ours never tried to pop out, but if it would have, we had the chain tight enough that it would not have flown out and leveled someone.

I'm sure the chain technique would be helpful in removal as well.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

[This message has been edited by Spames (edited 12-20-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode