LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Will it work on my 67 Camaro? Thanks

Came off a 70's s/b Chevy truck.

My 1970-1/2 LT-1 350

[ 07-22-2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: RamJam ]

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 07:34 PM
David Pozzi

That is a good high pressure pump.
But, the pump shown is for a long water pump as used on a 69 or later smallblock. It has the larger press-on pulley and the older pumps have smaller bore nut and key type pulleys.
You may not be able to find a suitable offset later type pulley. Most later pulleys are deeper groove which is nice.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

So I guess I should keep looking?
If I find an older one will it have enough pressure for the IROC box?
When you buy the reman. ones are they made to give higher pressure?

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 08:57 PM
Tech Team

I have a pump off my 67 that im not using any more. If you could use it let me know. ud just have to pay shipping.
Ethan
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Ethan,

Sounds good! Any leaks? Do you have a pic of it so I can see the brackets to make sure it will fit my 70-1/2 350? I live 40 miles west of Philly. Thanks

[img]smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 07:06 PM
Tech Team

Ill try to get you pics tommarow. The pump is still on the motor but its out of the car.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 07:07 PM
Tech Team

oh and there is no leaks and it worked perfect when i took it out of the car
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 07:34 PM
David Pozzi

You would have to remove one shim from the pressure relief valve. That little nut is on there TIGHT. The trick is to put a drill bit in the little hole in the side, pad the vise jaws with aluminum and clamp it in the vise with drill bit contacting the edge of the jaws, turn the nut.

For more flow, you need to drill the outlet fitting restrictor.
I think I have the hole size on my web page.
David

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

Firstgen,
Sounds good! Any idea if it's original if not that babies old I might have to get it rebuilt anybody know how much that cost?

David,
You're talking greek to me. I'm going to have to wait til I get a pump and then ask you what to do.

About my brakes you told me to go with rebuilt 69 calipers. Should I buy 69 Camaro power booster and master cylinder too or isn't there enough difference?

BTW: David, I found a mistake on your site. It's under Available P/steering Ratios. Here's a copy of what it says.

Pitman arm - long 5.25" short, 5.8" These measurements are fairly accurate.

Not trying to be nit picky. Just figured you want it to be right.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 03, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

Just wanted to move this to the top hoping David P. replies.
Would also like to ask you about pitman arm. I wanted to know if a 72 Monte Carlo arm will work on the close ratio z/28 steering box, should this box be variable? Also I picked up the 1-1/8" center link today from that Nova looks real good. I got the idler arm too infact never took it off. It's 5-3/8" center to center. Couldn't use the pit from it Nova has manual steering. It was being setup to race before it was junked. Since the idler arm is short I guess I need a short pitman too, right? Thanks

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 03, 06:01 PM
David Pozzi

The Monte arm will not work. You need a Camaro or Nova arm.
I don't think any variable boxes were made from around 1980 up.

The length of the idler to pitman is not a big deal either way. A Moog replacement idler will be in-between in length and sooner or later your used idler will need to be replaced with one of those. GM used them both ways.

Thanks for finding the error on my page.
David

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 03, 06:37 PM
David Pozzi

I don't know what booster you have, but if it's a 67 or 68 booster it should work fine if you get a disc brake master cyl and make sure the pushrod that sticks into the master is the correct length.
David

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

David,
The reason I asked about the booster is because I decided to go with newly re-man. Power booster and m/cyl. for my disc conversion and use the ones I got off the Nova for core charge. I also thought that they made them better in 69. My local parts man told me he'd sell me whatever year booster and m/cyl. I want. That's why I'm asking you about getting the 69 booster and master. Isn't the pushrod the same on a 69 camaro?

I checked the idler arm like you said and it barely moved, it seems to be in good shape.

I thought that Monte pitman would work on my car. Guess I'm going to have to buy a new one of them with the plastic parts in it. Thanks

You're welcome David glad I could help you for once. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Til I'm done I'm going to owe you alot of these. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

Moving this to the top hope David P. will answer above questions. Thanks

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 09:24 PM
David Pozzi

I'd get a 67 booster and MC.
The 69 brake pedal is different. I don't know if that affects where the booster connects or booster pushrod length, but I'd stick with a 67 or 68 booster if possible.
David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode