BAER brake questions - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, I have a '69 Camaro that I'm changing from 4 wheel drum to 4 wheel disk. I bought the BAER Track set-up, and have replaced all of the brake lines with a new stainless set. Of course I have several questions.....

(1) The master cylinder that comes with the BAER system has the resevoir for the front in the back (opposite of the stock master cylinder)........I asked the guys at BAER if I need to re-route the lines that go to the distribution block under the master cylinder and they said NO....... this doesnt make any sense to me. The line from the back of the master (now the front resevoir)goes to the back hole on the block, right next to the line that goes to the rear..... I'M CONFUSED !!! Doesnt the block separate the front and rear ????

(2) Where is the "best" place to mount the prop valve ???? There isnt much room right under the distribution block...... I was considering mounting it in the rear where the hard line becomes the flexible line that goes to the rearend..... kind of a pain to adjust, but easier to mount ( No splicing and flaring needed)

(3) The boot on the brake pedal pushrod...... it needs to be stuck over the end of the master cylinder , right ???

If anyone has pix of how/where they mounted their prop valve for the BAER/Wilwood/SSBC brakes, it would be great.

Ned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 04:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

This is how I mounted mine in my 69. I ran the rear line out of the master cylinder to the front of the dist. block for the front brakes. The front line out of the master goes into the rear of the distribution block for the rear brakes. The rear line from the distribution block makes a short 90 bend into the adjustable proportioning valve. Then the stock rear line goes out of the prop valve to the rear brakes.

Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 03-10-2002).]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So you re-routed/custom made your lines ???? Before I ordered my new brake lines, I called BAER and asked if there would be any need to change/bend new lines etc, and they said no.

It just doesnt make sense to me.

On the stock master cylinder the front port/resevoir went to the front side hole on the block.... if I dont change lines the BAER master has the forward resevoir, which supplies the rear brakes, going into the front side hole on the block.....

[This message has been edited by DRJDVM (edited 03-11-2002).]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 10:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I re-used the main lines from the stock master cylinder to the distribution block. They had to be re-bent slightly but there was no cutting or re-flaring. The only line I had to make was the 2-3" 90 degree bent one that goes from the distribution block to the inlet of the proportioning valve. You'd have to either do this or cut the factory rear line to put the valve in (I didn't want to cut the factory line). The other two lines from the master can be re-used without cutting(just re-bend slightly to fit).

Baer is incorrect if they say there's no mods, but it is an easy modification.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Man, that pic above just about made me mess my paints. That engine's a beauty...bet that car scoots.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 01:46 PM
Tech Team

Ok here is my question... Do all of you have power brakes? The reason I ask is because I have the non-power track system and my master looks nothing like the one pictured.(by the way: Camcojb very nice car!) I just put all new lines on it and routed them the way the old master was routed. Am I hosed?( No pun intended)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have the non-power set-up. The master I have is way different than the one in the picture. I think that came from some other source.

My master cylinder looks just like a nice stock unit, but the resevoir in the back is big and the one in the front is small.

The lines in the pic look different to me too. It looks like the one coming from the back port on the master is going to the very front of the distribution block.

On the stock unit, the front master port went to the front side hole on the block. The rear port went to the very back of the block.

On the new master, I can get the rear port line to get to the front side hole on the block, but there is no way in hell I'm getting the front port all the way around to the very back of the block.

The guys at BAER are working on it for me.

The thing that irks me the most is, its not like this is some weird set-up in an unusual car. You would think that this has/is a common problem that should have an easily explained solution.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 03:02 PM
Tech Team

DRJDVM, I think we have the same master cylinder I will have to look but I think your right...What in the heck? Looks like I too may have to redo a few things...Keep me posted on what BAER tells you; I am very interested in what there ideas are...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 03:10 PM
David Pozzi

If it's cast iron and kinda square in the reservoir area, it is probably a FORD master cyl. They do things like that,- put the front brake reservoir in the BACK!
A regular Camaro master cyl the same bore size should work fine. GM used 1" bore on a manual brake car, 1 1/8" bore on power brakes.

With a large rotor brake system it should be possible to use the larger bore 1 1/8" MC to get a higher and firmer pedal without high effort.
David
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 02, 03:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

That master cylinder in the pic was what Baer gave me with their Track 1 system about a year ago when I bought it. They show in the instructions for the system to use port B (the rear port) for the front brakes and port A for the rears. I just looked at my car again and I was able to re-use my stock master cylinder to distribution block lines (both of them) but they were reversed from stock as I remember.

I agree, there's only a million of these cars out there; there's really no reason to not have everything you need in the kit. It would be very easy to supply new pre-bent lines for the master cylinder-to-block and the new line you'll need to add the adjustable proportioning valve.

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode