Pump squeel with Hydroboost - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 03, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Just installed my Hydroboost and went through the fluid bleeding proceedure, fired up the car and the steering pump squeels no matter what unless the front wheels are off the ground.

Any ideas?

Could it be low pressure or is the pump just not up to the task?

I have had this pump for over 2 years and never had a problem with it until the Hydroboost.

[ 06-29-2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: CA420 ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 03, 07:43 PM
David Pozzi

I had better not say too much here because I don't know a lot about that system, and I'm gonna run out of info real quick.
I read that the hydroboost requires a higher pressure than normal PS, I'm not sure how high but close to 1400 psi.
A std Camaro pump is regulated at around 800 to 900 off the top of my head...

There is an accumulator in the unit that must be pressurized/charged when you first start the engine. I'd guess that once it is pressurized, the system should bypass the oil, and pump pressure would drop to a very low pressure until the brakes are applied.
If your pump can't make enough pressure to initially charge the accumulator, it's probably stuck in that mode. I'm just guessing here as I've not studied this system but I do know there is an accumulator in it which provides some reserve boost if the pump fails or engine dies.

But first make absolutely sure your hoses are connected right.
Your pump is no different than a hydroboost pump except the pressure valve and maybe an extra return line fitting.
Hopefully CarlC or Torker will reply soon with better info than I have.
David

[ 06-28-2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: davidpozzi ]

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 03, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

I don't know what bleeding procedure you used, but just the other day I ran into some power steering problems, with my new fast ratio set up. It sounds like we had the same simptoms, too much squeal and almost no power assist until I lift the car from the floor. At first, I made the well mentioned bleeding procedure, which consist of turning the steering wheel from side to side for several times to let the pump bleed but without much luck. Finally I lifted the car from the floor again, and with the help of a second set of hands, I loosened the pressure line at the pump end, with the engine running and turning the steering wheel from side to side at the same time. Then shut the engine, refilled the reservoir and peace of mind finally came. No squeal and a perfect functioning PS system. You might try that, even when it's a little messy, before making some further changes. Good luck.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds like you either have too much air in the system or the valve in the pump is clogged.

It does take much longer to bleed the system with the hydrobooster.

Jack the front wheels off the ground, start the engine, then turn the wheels slowly from lock to lock and then shut the engine off. Do this several times untill the squeeling goes away. Make sure the pump stays topped off with fluid during the process. If the fluid gets too foamy you may have to shut the car off and wait a while. Good Luck.

See my ride:<br /> <a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html</a>
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

I agree with Torker. Air, a plugged valve, or a loose belt.

If it's air then the fluid will foam. Even after cycling the system several times while the car is on jackstands there will still be trapped air that will come out once the car is on the ground. It takes several hours to get the air out to the point where the system works half-way well.

The stock reservoir is not good at eliminating air bubbles. Also, many aftermarket fluids do not work as well as the stock GM fluid. The Valvoline synthetic fluid says non-foaming. Yeah, right. The GM fluid is better but more expensive.

This is assuming that the booster is in good working order. If it sucks air then all bets are off.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the Booster is brand new from Hydraboost and the pump is a newer style housing but the full size Saginaw pump. I will keep trying to work out the bubbles and see what happens.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech

I didn't have this problem with my unit, but I followed Paul's bleeding instructions to the "T." I recall that they were pretty involved, having to start the car, shut it off, check the fluid level, start it, turn the wheels slightly, pump the pedal, etc. It was quite extensive, but it seemed to work in my case. My guess is that if one tries to do this too quickly that you'll introduce air into the P/S fluid. If this is the case, you'll have to wait quite a while to let it settle out before you can go at it again. Call Paul at Hydroboost if you can't figure it out, he is a HUGE help.

Mark

69 SS, ZZ430 Look-alike, Tremec TKO, Hotchkis Suspension
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Paul did have the answer to my problem......loose belt. I tightened the crap out of it and it is quiet as can be. [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] Now to just get the brakes bled.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Well my Hydroboost is working great! [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] I finally got all the air out of the lines. The bleeder screws were sucking air around the threads [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img] . Last night I was locking them up and having a good time.

Paul does have a great product and I won't be going back to vacuum on any car I build in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode