Power steering setup - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

As some of you know I'm doing a p/s conversion on my 67 with a late 80's IROC Z steering box. I'm wondering since the p/s pump doesn't run off the water pump pulley and I should use a pump with better pressure than what you get with 1st gens. Can I use the add on pulley for the crank and go with the 70's style p/s pump that was made to use on long water pump engines?

David Pozzi I checked your site but didn't see this answered under pulleys. One of the things I saw on your site was that the p/s brkts that bolted to motor mounts were low perf I'm just wondering why because that's one of the brkts I found so far to use? Is it true you can't use deep groove with shallow groove pulleys?

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 06:51 PM
David Pozzi

A second gen PS pump on a long water pump crank pulley would put the PS belt on the second groove. The second gen pulleys are deeper groove than low perf first gen pulleys, and the first groove next to the damper is not there on a second gen. The fist groove is needed for the alternator on a short pump setup.

I strongly recomend using deep groove pulleys if possible. Most first gen's have problems keeping alt belts from throwing with the low perf pulleys, unless they are very well lined up.
You can use a shallow groove PS pump pulley with deep groove crank pulleys, the short belt won't want to come off at high rpm's, but the deep groove pulleys are wider and the third groove will be farther forward than the low perf pulley stack, requiring the ps pump to be shimmed forward.

Using a 69 up long water pump and pulleys is a better deal. Just get a two groove crank pulley, a water pump pulley, and use the pickup truck ps pump you showed in the photo.

David

[ 08-04-2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: davidpozzi ]

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

David,
I understand what you're saying but at this time I'd rather not spend xtra money on a water pump when I all ready have one that works. It had crossed my mind though. Below is a pic of the kind of pulley I want to use. Unless they didn't make these add on pulleys for the 70's long water pump cars. This should work right? I also found a 67 p/s pump but it has a double pulley should that matter? Can I remove one of them? (If I want to use the older style)? Thanks

Added on to applicable crank pulley (when required) for power steering option.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-03-2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: RamJam ]

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Just wanted to move this up for David and anyone else that wants to answer above questions.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 08:00 PM
David Pozzi

You need a pulley next to the damper to operate the alternator. I don't know of a second gen pulley that would fit inside a first gen pulley.

I can't say if it will work or not.
Later pumps are not all high pressure. You would need a Z/28 IROC or TA pump to be sure. The early pumps are the same except for the pressure/flow valve, male output fitting, and shaft size.
David

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

David,
I remember reading that sometime after 70 they upped the pressure on all p/s pumps? I found this one that says it's a 68 camaro pump but the resovoir looks newer to me and the brkts don't look like they'll line up (pic below).

Can't get the pic of my pulley up right now.

(EDITED) 8/07/03
The pulley that's on my car now is single groove, just flat. It seems the add on pulley doesn't have to fit in it, it just has to fit against it. Thanks

[ 08-06-2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: RamJam ]

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 07:20 PM
David Pozzi

That kinda looks like a 70's pump.
Try over at http://www.chevelles.com
Once there, look in the "Tech Reference" area on the left side of the page.
Here is the page on PS http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html

They have a guy over there - Jim, that was a Saginaw engineer and he wrote some good articles on PS. I think there is a listing of good pumps to use.
David

[ 08-05-2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: davidpozzi ]

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks David,

I'll check that out. That one above has a really different looking pulley on it? I guess if I can get it for $20 it's worth it, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode