Who Has The Offset Rear Diff Problem??? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have read many posts lately concerning this "phenomenon" I figured maybe starting this post so that everybody can compare notes may lead to solving this mystery....
Maybe everybody can leave a little info regarding spring type.....high horsepower engine...stick or automatic....anything else that may help.....until I hear that somebody's 6cyl auto car is doing this I am still going with the "something in the chassis is twisting" theory...I don't think it's GM's stackup tolerances, since I havn't heard of anybody saying that there's is offset to the left.......Good Luck Guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 07:29 PM

Good idea.

'69 Camaro
It had a 350, 3 speed, single leaf, 10 bolt rearend. I didnt really look to see if things were shifter before I removed them. I only had the car a month before I started to tear it apart.

Completely gutted entire car, including engine subframe, and the entire rear suspension.

Replaced with Hotchkis drop springs and a new 12 bolt posi rearend....... its shifted about 3/4 inch to the pass side.

The sheetmetal is all original with only small areas of bondo, so its not a "bad bodywork" issue.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech
John

mine is shifted to the passenger's side slightly.. about 1/2-3/4''. My car is a 327 lo-po with TH350, 3.73 rear, multileaf conversion, traction bars...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech

i remember a thread a while back about the bushings in all the leaf springs being pushed all the way to one side- that would offset the rear end the same amount. the cure? press it so the leaf is at the inside of the bushing on both sides, thus centering it and gaining a touch of space for wider tires.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 02, 04:00 AM
msb

I have a 1980 229ci/auto. Just got it 2 weeks ago. All original except for the 200 has been swaped with a TH350, an 8-track and air shocks. The 8-track is gone, putting in a newer radio system today.

It doesn't look to have been wrecked, so things should still be lined up. I'll check the rear for shifting early next week at work and let you know.

The interior is ragged out, but other than that it's in pretty good shape. Fixing that and upgrading the suspension are my top priorities.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 02, 04:14 AM
Senior Tech

3/4" offset to right
68 RS 10-bolt 327 275hp powerglide

still offsetted with 3 leaf conversion

planning to offset all bushings to the right to compensate the axle offset.

[This message has been edited by MagnusRS68 (edited 02-23-2002).]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 02, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech

I've got a 67 that was originally a six cylinder and still has the original 10 bolt and original monoleafs. The car has had a 350/TH-350 in it for quite some time now. I have put Energy Suspension poly bushings in the rear. My rearend is perfectly centered in the car. I have evidence of body flexing elsewhere in the car - cracks at the A-pillars, sail panels, and the seam between the quarters and the panel behind the window, but the rearend has stayed centered in the car.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

My 1967 Camaro
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 02, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I think something else we need to post is what kind of bushings we are using (poly, rubber, solid), and is your driveshaft also offset in the tunnel? Or is it centered?

I'm gonna look at my Camaro and see if it's offset.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 02, 09:25 AM
Senior Tech

I had rubber before and now i have poly, and there was the same offset before and after. I beleive that it either something with the welded plates on the axletubes or the mountings front and rear.

Im going to check the driveshaft also and see if its centred or not.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by MagnusRS68 (edited 02-23-2002).]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 02, 04:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Mine is a 4 speed 68, originally V8. It has a 350 with a 12 bolts posi. Damn thing is also shifted to the right/passenger side 3/4". Haven't checked for the driveshaft yet.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 02, 11:43 AM

I FIGURED OUT MY OFFSET PROBLEM !!!!!! Unfortunately it probably isnt the same problem you guys are having, sorry.

I jacked up the car and removed the rear wheels. After about 7-8 different measurements, I couldnt find anything off by more the 1/4 inch at best.

Then it dawned on me......... I'm using some temporary junk yard rims until I decide on my final rim/tire combo...... the rims look exactly the same, but I had always noticed the tires were different... no big deal, not that different..... but then I thought, what if the backspacing on the rims is different ?????

WHAAAAAAMMOOOO !!!!!! The rim I had on the drivers side has a 3/4 inch more backspacing !!!!!! Consequently the tire sits deeper in the wheelwell.

I'm so glad I figured it out. This has been driving me crazy for the last 3 weeks !!!

I guess the old KISS rule applies here (Keep It Simple Stupid !!!) Look for the simple things first.

This probably wont help many of you, but it wouldnt hurt to be absolutley sure its not something stupid like my issue. Check the backspacing to be sure. It couldnt hurt to absolutely rule that out. Maybe those rims you bought are really different ??? Its an easy detail to not really look at. You just assume they are the same on each side....

Its is kind of wierd that everyone is shifted to the pass side ???? Wierd....

Good luck everyone...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 02, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech

Glad you solved your shifted rear/wheel =)

I looked at my backside setting on my wheels the first thing i did, and they are new aswell.

First i thougt that maybe/hopefully the former owner had a spacer or something, but when i changed to my new wheels i realized that its more complicated. =(
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 02, 12:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

I don't have too wide tires so as long as it doesn't interfere with hard launches, I don't care that much. Maybe doing so it gets to where it belongs. Just hope the 12 bolts resist the abuse. Like some say, Drive it like you stole it...

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode